Slow VaultLabel NAnt Task

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

chris.bradley

Slow VaultLabel NAnt Task

Post by chris.bradley » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:17 am

I've been doing some research into the speed of our continuous integration server (Cruise Control) and found something really strange.

When I execute the following nAnt script to apply a label to a folder in vault, it takes almost a minute to execute. Running this same command from the Vault Client takes about a second. Any idea why this might be?

<vaultsetloginoptions
user="myBuildUser"
password="myBuildPassword"
URL="http://myVaultServer/VaultService"
repository="Evolution" />

<vaultlabel
objectPath="$/dvt-aristo/${release.version}/${module.name}"
labelName="${module.name} ${version}" />

chris.bradley

Re: Slow VaultLabel NAnt Task

Post by chris.bradley » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:37 am

Also, the .chm documentation inside the NantTasks for Fortress doesn't seem to work. WHenever you open a topic you get a "Address is not valid" page on the right.

Thanks,
Chris

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:27 pm

What version of Fortress are you using?

Check the the Fortress server log, which is sgvault.log in %windir%\temp\sgvault on the server machine to see if there are any errors that correspond to the slow labeling with Nant.

Regarding the .chm issue, I just downloaded the 1.1.4 NAnt Tasks and the .chm seems fine. You might have a corrupt file, unless this was from a previous version.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

chris.bradley

Post by chris.bradley » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:26 am

Hey Linda, we're running Fortress Client and Server 1.1.4.18402

I did check the server log but nothing interesting in there, just a login message when the build starts, and then a logout message about 2 minutes later when it finishes. It's really strange - I can't think of anything that would cause this to slow down. Should I be looking at settings for using working folders or something?

Oh, I did check the helpfile and you're right; it's fine. Vista had a security prompt showing up which I was ignorining. Once I answered this prompt to allow the helpfile to open, it was fine.

chris.bradley

Post by chris.bradley » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:29 am

Or maybe do I need to specifiy the versionId when I call vaultlabel? Any idea what I would pass if I was trying to get this variable from Cruise Control?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:04 pm

We're still not sure if Vault Server is being slow or if NAnt is being slow. The best way to tell would be with a debug server log, which shows every transaction. This setting is in the Admin Web Client under Server Settings->Logging->Debug. After you enable logging, run the label from the Vault Client, then from the NAnt script. Send the log that covers these transactions zipped up to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post. Let me know what time in the log you did each of these operations.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager