Change requests

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Marcel

Change requests

Post by Marcel » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:49 am

Here is a list of feature and change requests:

1) Manage tag names.
Tags can be used for assigning keywords to items. However, since currently only tags of open items are displayed when adding new items, it seems to me that this may lead to unmanaged growth of the individual tags in a particular project. When a project contains many items, this might not be a problem, but when a project contains less items, closing an item could lead to a tag disappearing from the tag list when adding new items.
My suggestion is to manage the growth of tags, by having a list of tags that can be edited by all users. Obsolete tags could be made inactive to avoid them from appearing in the tag list, when a user adds a new item.

2) Possiblity to define capabilities of project administrator.
Currently a project administrator is able to change user access rights, project name descriptions, create categories and milestones. But because we are only a smallsize team, we do not have specific project leaders for specific projects. Persons who are working on a project can vary from time to time. Because of this, we would like to be able to give developers the possibility of defining milestones (and perhaps categories), but not giving them rights to change project names, user access settings (and perhaps categories). Maybe, there should be a group in between a project administrator and normal user, or just being able to define the rights of a project administrator.
In our situation, only the global Fortress administrator should configure all user access settings, project names (and perhaps categories). The project administrator (or developer) should be able to define milestones. Currently, our developers cannot define milestones themselves(and this feature is thus not being used), because this would reveal the project access settings also. There should probaby be a Full Admin and a Project Admin with definable limited rights.

3) Mandatory fields.
It would be very helpfull if we could configure Fortress to compel fields to be defined before being submitted. I already asked for this, since this is very important to us.
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 30&t=10298

4) Show correct Category List when changing project field.
When the "Project" Field of an item is being modified (not clicking the submit button yet), the "Category" field still lists the categories of the old project. A new category cannot be selected directly, and the user has to submit the change first and then modify the item again, this time changing the category. It would be very useful when this could be done in one step. Especially, since the field "Category" is mandatory to us.

5) Input width when updating comments.
When a comment is being updated, the input width is limited. It should and could be the same as the width when a new comment is being added.

6) Show history of deleted items.
Example: When files of directory 1 are merged into files of directory 2, the files of directory 1 become obsolete, and therefore get deleted. However, it could be interesting to view the history list of the deleted items, but this currently seems not possible.

Best regards,
Marcel

Marcel

Re: Change requests

Post by Marcel » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:12 am

Addendum item 1:
My suggestion would be for users being able to edit and maintain a list of tags for a project. This would be the same as with defining categories, although tags can be defined by any user and is not restricted to the project administrator only.
I probably don't like the idea for a user typing in a keyword (with or without spelling errors), leading to a new subject in the tag cloud. This could lead to a great amount of tags, with several tags meaning almost the same, or hard to tell the real difference. When the user is not able to type in a word directly, he probably will first try to select it from a list. This should control the growth of tags. (We are not actually using tags right now, but I am thinking ahead of any problems we might experience when we would.)

lbauer

Re: Change requests

Post by lbauer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will see if some of these are already in our item tracking database; if not I will add them.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager