Add/Edit Comments [Details...]

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

lightbulb

Add/Edit Comments [Details...]

Post by lightbulb » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:13 am

Hi,
I must say i've been a SOS->Vault->Fortress user for many years and 99.9% of time i have little or no problems i can't work around.

However.....
I now have a need to place comments on folders.

If you right-click a folder->Properties, at bottom of dialog you'll see a Comments panel.
Now this panel seems to get populated for a file when you [ADD] files and enter data in the [Comments] field, or any of the normal checkin processes. It can be subsequently edited bi history by Details...edit comment.

If you Add folders+files only the files display this comment.

If i display history for the folder, select the folders [added] history line, and edit is comments i can, but these do not display at the high level folder properties.

a). How do i get a comment for a folder to appear for folder->properties action?
b) How do i edit a comment at that level once its added (if it can be added).

btw: Fortress 2.0.1 server+client

I only ask, because when you have accrued years worth of folders in fortress its not always as simple as understanding the folder name as to why you put it there....even if you put a readme in there.... :wink:

lbauer

Re: Add/Edit Comments [Details...]

Post by lbauer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:37 am

There are item comments and changeset comments. An item comment is the comment you add when you initiate a transaction, like checking out a file, adding files/folders, etc. A changeset comment is a comment added when you commit (checkin) your changes. Each time you make a change to a folder, it's called a changeset. It can be a single file checkin, or a changeset can contain many file checkins, delete/add/branch operations, etc.

Here are the details on how comments are applied in Vault:

--If a file has an item comment AND a checkin (or changeset) comment, the item comment appears in File History and Folder History by Item. The checkin comment appears in Folder History by Version.

--If a file has only an item (checkout ) comment, the item comment appears in File History and Folder History by Item. There is no comment in Folder History by Version.

--If a file has only a checkin comment, then the checkin comment appears in all three History locations.
a) How do i get a comment for a folder to appear for folder->properties action?
The Folder Properties shows the latest Change Set comment.
b) How do i edit a comment at that level once its added (if it can be added).
You can right click on the folder and select Show History. In the History Query dialog, select View folder history by version. This will give you a list of versions with their dates. You can select the latest version and click on the Details button on the right, which will allow you to edit the comment. Note that the comment will change in Properties the next time you add a comment when checking something into that folder.

I know this information can be confusing. Let me know if you have additional questions.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

lightbulb

Post by lightbulb » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:10 pm

linda,

perhaps my fortress client has a bug then.

Steps to reproduce (and what i expect):
1. Create a folder using new folder button (i called mine linda1).
2. Right Click on linda1->Properties (comments empty as i expect).
3. Add a File using the add file button. In comments add "ADDFILE1".
4. Right Click linda1->Properties (i expect "ADDFILE1", i get nothing - empty :? ).
5. Checkout the newly added file.
6. Edit the checkedout file.
7. Checkin the edited file, add comment "checked-in 1"
8. Right Click linda1->Properties (i expect "checked-in 1", WHOHA - all ok).
9. Click Add file button, add a new file with "ADDFILE2" comment.
10.Right Click linda1->Properties (i expect "ADDFILE2", i get nothing - empty :? ).

Fortress Client 2.0.1....have i got the wrong end of stick....i expect file Add actions to display the comment i entered in folder properties, but mine don't (they do appear in history).

Regards

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:45 pm

3. Add a File using the add file button. In comments add "ADDFILE1".
4. Right Click linda1->Properties (i expect "ADDFILE1", i get nothing - empty
When you add a file, the comment in the Add Files dialog is an Item Comment. Usually an Add is automatically committed, so there's no chance to add a Change Set comment. An item comment does not show up in Folder history by version. The comment in Properties is the most recent comment in Folder History by version.

One way to get a changeset comment with an Add is to change the Concurrent Development Style in the Vault Client under Tools->Options to not auto-commit after each operation. Then the Add operation will be sitting in the Pending Change set and when you commit it, you can add a changeset comment that will appear in the folder properties.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager