Lack of HOWTOs Documentation

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

pfurini

Lack of HOWTOs Documentation

Post by pfurini » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:03 pm

Hi
I've been trying Fortress for a while, and I think it's a good to have tool for what it offers and the per user price.
But...
The documentation is very poor! I mean, there are references to specific commands and features, but I'd like to see one or two HOWTOs well written..
Sometimes it's hard to "guess" the correct procedure for a complete task, and I'm not so new to version control, but inherently new to item tracking..

For example it'll be great to see a doc with, for example, a series of common tasks in VCS day-by-day life, and the way you can accomplish it with Vault.
The same for work item tasks with Fortress.

In the near future I'll have to present Fortress to a company I work for, and it'll be easier for me if I could simply print and share these HOWTOs with them...

Bye and Have a nice day ;)
Paul

Beth

Re: Lack of HOWTOs Documentation

Post by Beth » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:36 pm

A very good place to start is Eric Sink's Source Control How To. Does that cover what you are looking for? If not, I can certainly put in a feature request for something that would fit what you are envisioning better.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

pfurini

Post by pfurini » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi
thanks for the reply..
Yes Eric's blog is a really good starting point, but it's a "generic" documentation.
What I mean is more user friendly material (with a good and reassuring bunch of images or videos) targeting Vault and Fortress specifically.
Something like the over sized white papers or near-marketing material in the Micro$oft world... ;)

Titles like:
A real life example - project "goofy" source control life from beta to rtm using Vault

..also Camtasia like video tutorials series can do the trick...

Bye
P.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:28 pm

So that I can make sure I'm not doubling up on any efforts with this.

We have a few demo videos posted:
http://www.sourcegear.com/fortress/video/
http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/demo.html

Do either of these help out?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support