Stuck on "Beginning Transaction" when checking in....

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

heysad

Stuck on "Beginning Transaction" when checking in....

Post by heysad » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:16 am

Fortress 2.0.1
Visual Studio Profressional 2008
Cllient : on Windows XP SP3
Server : on Windows Server 2008 Standard

I've had this happen a couple of times now...last night, tried to check in 3 small files from the same C# project and the process of checking in (both with the VS Client and the Windows Client) just seems to stall at the first hurdle.

Strange thing is, if I check the files in individually (last night I did this from the Windows client but *pretty* sure I've done it from the VS client before now) all works as expected....not sure where to go to get to the bottom of this so need some help please:)

In the middle of an Eval so need to get this pinned down as soon as.

Many thanks,

- Andy

lbauer

Re: Stuck on "Beginning Transaction" when checking in....

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:12 am

If you wait a while, do the files eventually get checked in, or does Visual Studio hang?

If you check in one file at a time from Visual Studio, does the single file check in with no problem?

Are there any errors in the Fortress output/message pane in Visual Studio?

We might get some helpful information from your log files. You can enable logging in VS under Tools->Options->Source Control->Integration Options. The log will be in your user's temp directory.

Enable debug server logging in the Admin Web Client under Server Settings->Logging->Log Level.

The Fortress Server log is called sgvault.log and is in %windir%\temp\sgvault on the server machine.

Reproduce the problem, then send the logs zipped up to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

heysad

Post by heysad » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:25 am

Always in too much of a hurry to wait more than a few minutes but if it happens tomorrow I'll be more patient and record any messages:)

If I check one file in at a time it works every time.

I will enable logging and report back in the morning.

Thx for your response!

- Andy

heysad

Post by heysad » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:57 am

It died with this error on my very nect check in, I hadn't turned any logging on but got the following error in Visual Studio....

Preparing data to begin transaction
Beginning transaction
An error occurred while trying to begin a transaction.
Transaction failed
An exception was encountered during the transaction. Exception: The Vault server could not be contacted to perform the operation. Your network connection to the server may have been interrupted. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.The request failed with HTTP status 502: Proxy Error ( The specified network name is no longer available. ). at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.BeginTx(Int32 nRepID, VaultRequestItem[]& requests, String& strTxID, String comment)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Commit(ChangeSetItemColl givenItems, String strChangeSetComment, Boolean keepCheckedOut, Boolean removeLocalCopy, CommitType committype, VaultDateTime dateImport, Int32 nUserIDImport, Int64& nRevID, Int32[]& retBegEndTx)

Thx

- Andy

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:58 am

The request failed with HTTP status 502: Proxy Error ( The specified network name is no longer available. )
Are you using a proxy? Check in Visual Studio under Tools->Options->Source Control-> Fortress Options->Advanced Options->Network Settings.

Can you bypass the proxy by selecting "Do not use a proxy" ? If so, does the checkin succeed?

Another thing to try is to use Chunked encoding.

This setting is also in the VS Tools->Options->Source Control-> Fortress Options->Advanced Options->Network Settings.

If you already have that checked, you could try unchecking it.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

heysad

Post by heysad » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:18 am

Hi Linda,

I've sent you an e-mail with some log files etc.

Regards,

- Andy

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:07 am

Working with user offline. Problem is intermittent.

HS 218225
Linda Bauer
SourceGear