Auto-Merge Old Files

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jfennell

Auto-Merge Old Files

Post by jfennell » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:19 am

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is a "newbie" question, but I figured asking the forums would be the quickest way to get an answer.

If I have an old version of a file that someone else has modified and checked back in to the repository, will the Fortress VStudio Enhanced Client automatically get the latest version from the repository or prompt me to get the latest version before it allows me to modify my (out of date) local copy? Is there a setting that controls this behavior?

Thanks in advance,
~ Jim Fennell
~ Web Team Professionals, Inc.

Beth

Re: Auto-Merge Old Files

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:59 pm

It won't automatically merge the changed file or remind you, but you will get an indicator to show it's been modified. If you have the item already checked out, then in the Pending Changes window, you will have a status of Old or Needs Merge. If you do not have it checked out, then you may have a different icon next to the file. An hourglass indicates the file is out of date.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jfennell

Post by jfennell » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Beth.

I think it would be a great enhancement if there were an option available that would prompt you if you are trying to check out a file when your local copy is out of date or renegade. That way, it would catch any recent changes that the developer missed and would let the developer decide whether he/she wants to do a Get Latest to retrieve the most recent version from the repository, leave their current local copy and check out the file, or cancel to operation. It seems like it would be easy to miss that little hourglass icon and accidentally start working with an out-of-date version of a file instead of getting the latest version from the repository.

If there's a way this could get added to the enhancement request list, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again,
~ Jim Fennell

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:29 pm

At the point of check out is something different. During a check out, a Get is performed and you have an option to decide what to do if the files on disk are modified.

Are you performing the check out in the Fortress GUI client or in Visual Studio?
Beth Kieler

jfennell

Post by jfennell » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:14 pm

My question was about working within Visual Studio using the Fortress Visual Studio Enhanced Client.

So you're saying if i try to check out a file when my local copy is different from the current version in the repository, the Fortress Visual Studio Enhanced Client will detect the difference and prompt me for what I want to do?
~ Jim Fennell

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Almost. During the check out, there is a place to set what it should do with modified files. I've attached a screenshot of what you should see. Scroll down to see where the option is at. To get prompted, you need to select prompt.

Also, in your Fortress Tools - Options - Local Files are where you can set the default for what to do with locally modified files.
Attachments
check out.JPG
check out.JPG (38.79 KiB) Viewed 10556 times
Beth Kieler

jfennell

Post by jfennell » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:24 pm

That makes sense. I wasn't sure where that default was set. I think setting that to "Prompt" will do exactly what I want.

Thanks for the help and the patience with my "newbie" question, Beth.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!
~ Jim Fennell

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:51 am

Thanks for the update. Feel free to let us know if you have further questions.
Beth Kieler