Error 411 (Length Required) while committing files to server

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

amroabadi

Error 411 (Length Required) while committing files to server

Post by amroabadi » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi,
I have encountered a strange problem. While committing changes to Fortress server and uploading files, a problem occurs and in messages panel it says:

The specific error was "The server had an error processing the file upload but did not return an error header. The remote server returned an error: (411) Length Required."
An exception was encountered during the transaction. Exception: The server had an error processing the file upload but did not return an error header. The remote server returned an error: (411) Length Required. at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UploadItem(ChangeSetItem item, String txID, Byte[]& streamBuffer, Int32& bytesWrittenThisFile, Boolean bIsImport)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.UploadThread.ProcessCommand(UploadThreadCommand command, UploadThreadCommandResult& outputResult)

This problem had not been occuring before and started happening a while ago

System info:
Windows 7 Ultra
Visual Studio 2008
Fortress version 1.1.3.18336

Beth

Re: Error 411 (Length Required) while committing files to server

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Are you using the Enhanced or Classic Client? That is set in VS under Tools - Options - Source Control.

Can you look in your server log found at C:\Windows\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log for any error posted at the same time? That might give more details.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

amroabadi

Post by amroabadi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I use the enhanced version of the client, however the problem occures on both.

the file "C:\Windows\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log" doesn't exists. ( nor in the "c:\Users\<username>\local\temp\...")

Any other idea??

Beth

Post by Beth » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:07 pm

On the Fortress server that log doesn't exist? If not, do you have access to the Fortress admin web page?

If you have multiple developers working on the same project, you can't jump back and forth between clients to use with VS with affecting others if you check in changes. Do you know which client others are using?

Let's first make sure your bindings are set correctly. With your solution open, do the following:
-Go to File - Fortress Source Control - Change Fortress Bindings (or File - Source Control - Change Source Control if on the Classic Client).
-Select all the lines in the Window that opens and click Unbind.
-Click OK, then Save All.
-Go to Tools - Options - Source Control and set the provider to the same that others are using on that solution.
-Go to File - Fortress Source Control - Change Fortress Bindings (or File - Source Control - Change Source Control if on the Classic Client).
-Click on the line that lists the solution file then click Bind. You will be asked to select the folder in Fortress that holds the solution file.
-After binding the solution file, you should have a status of valid on the same line. If you don't, stop and let me know.
-If you receive a valid status on the solution, proceed to bind each line in the binding window. Once all list valid as a status, click OK.
-Check in your solution and project files. If those check in, try to check in everything else.

If this fails to help, then I'd like to take a closer look at what is going on. Send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth).
Beth Kieler

amroabadi

Post by amroabadi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:55 am

Dear Beth,
regarding the log file I had thought I should look for it on the client, yes, I found it on the server. I cleared it, and on client-side, I started by logging in, and trying to commit a file. the log only contains one line indicating my login and nothing regarding the commit.

Regarding the bindings, I unbound and re-bound the projects but problem persists.

I am going to email you now as you said...

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:33 am

I have received your email and will reply from there. Thanks.

HS: 218718
Beth Kieler

amroabadi

Post by amroabadi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Beth solved my problem in an e-mail based conversation.

Here is the solution:

1. Open Fortress GUI client
2. Goto "Tools > Options > Network Settings"
3. Make sure "Use chunked encoding..." is NOT checked.

Thank you Beth :-)

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:13 am

Thank you for updating.
Beth Kieler