Problem with "Open from Fortress" in VS 2008

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Toolsmith

Problem with "Open from Fortress" in VS 2008

Post by Toolsmith » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:24 pm

I use Visual Studio Team System 2008 (v 9.0.30729.1 SP, .Net Framework 3.5 SP1) and Fortress 2.0.2 (18753)

When I attempt to open a solution from Fortress, Fortress opens up, I log in, I select the repository, I select the solution, then it builds the local directory structure on disk, puts the solution file on disk, VS opens the solution file, and all of the projects within the solution show (Loading ...).

At this point all Fortress activity stops. Files are never pulled down from the server, and VS is not blocked. There appears to be no adverse consequences with I shut down VS.

My current work-around is to perform a Get Latest from Fortress using the client, then use VS to check everything out.

-- Toolsmith

Beth

Re: Problem with "Open from Fortress" in VS 2008

Post by Beth » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 pm

After you have everything pulled down to disk and open it in VS, do you see locks or green checks next to the files in your solution explorer? If so, go to VS Tools - Options - Source Control and look at which plug-in it is set to use. What is there?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Toolsmith

Post by Toolsmith » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 am

Sorry for not replying sooner, busy days.

The only green check is next to the solution file itself, nothing else shows any indication of being under source control (no lock icon).

My source control plug in is "SourceGear Fortress Visual Studio Enhanced Client".

Basically, for some reason the VS integration stopped working. At that time I was on Fortress 2.0.1, so I upgraded to 2.0.2 which uninstalled to 2.0.1 then installed the 2.0.2, at which point I had expected the integration to be "rewired". It wasn't, and I still get the same problem.

Just before the failure to "Open from Fortress", the system also stopped detected new files added to projects. I suspect the two events are related, but I couldn't swear to that.

As for my workaround, it works. My source is safe, it gets updated when I check in with the client, all I have to remember to do is to tell the client to "Detect New files to add". I want to be clear on this point for other users reading this post: My source has in no way been compromised. It is all 100% intact, protected from loss (regular backups on the database) and contains complete history. My only problem has been with the VS 2008 integration.

- Toolsmith

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:29 pm

After the upgrade, your integration should have remained the same.

Can you tell me what the layout of your project looks like? By that I mean, where is the .sln file in relation to the projects.

A typical layout is something like:
$
---|---EntireSolutionFolder
----------|---.sln file
----------|---ProjectFolder
------------------|---project files
Beth Kieler

Toolsmith

Post by Toolsmith » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 pm

Exactly as you laid out:

Code: Select all

Solution folder
 |- solution file
 |- Project folder 1
      | - Project files
 |- Project folder 2
      | - Project files
 |- Project folder 3
      | - Project files

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:35 am

Could you go to File - Fortress Source Control - Change Fortress Bindings? Is every line in there bound and have a status of Valid? Do some have no status or an invalid status?
Beth Kieler

Toolsmith

Post by Toolsmith » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:52 am

The bindings were invalid on all but the solution file itself. I've rebound the projects and now the file addition/deletion detection works properly.

So now Fortress is working the way it's supposed to when the project already exists both in Fortress and on disk, but it still doesn't explain why I was unable to perform an "Open from Fortress" when the source was not on disk.

Here's the original problem:

1. Source does not exist on disk, only in Fortress
2. Open VS
3. Select "Open from Fortress"
4. Fortress creates the folder structure correctly, downloads the solution file, then all Fortress activity stops

Work around for the original problem:

1. Source does not exist on disk, only in Fortress
2. Open Fortress client
3. "Get Latest" from Fortress
4. "Check Out" from Fortress (still using the client)
5. Close Fortress client
6. Open VS
7. Open solution, do work
8. Use Fortress client to check back in when done

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:56 pm

To troubleshoot the original issue, we would need to walk through the opening again. Now that things are bound correctly, you may wish to check in your .sln and .proj files so that your bindings are on the server. Then, increase your IDE logging in VS Tools - Options - Source Control - Integration Options. There is a check box to enable logging. If you went to %username%\local settings\temp ( %username%\app data\local\temp in on Vista or higher) you would find a file called VaultVsipClient2008.txt or something similar to that and that is your log file.

You will also want to increase the server level logging. To make changes to the Server Log, you will go to the Fortress admin web page and click the logging link, look to the right side and change 'quiet' to 'debug' and save it. This will interrupt user's connections, so you may need to perform it at a time that works best for you.

Once logging is set, try opening a solution that isn't on disk, or go back to the one we just bound, remove it from disk, and try a new Open from Fortress. Then either post the logs or send them to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread.
Beth Kieler