Get without setting a working folder

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Marcel

Get without setting a working folder

Post by Marcel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:46 am

Sometimes we need to send our source files or documents to another company. To do this, we use Fortess to pull out the latest version of these documents. But, Fortress each time assigns a working folder when it was not set before. But since this was only intended as a temporary get, we need to remove the working folder association. If we forget to do this, the next time we do a temporary get version on a different project and use the same temporary folder to put the files in, Fortress gives an error saying that the working folder was already assigned to another project.

An enhancement in Fortress could be to have an option to override the working folder association when this error occurs. But better would be to have Fortress get a file or folder version without the restriction of setting a working folder. When no working folder is set and the option "remove working folder" is choosen, Fortress currently just quits the operation without getting the file or folder. But when a working folder was set previously, it is possible to get a file and put it into a temporary directory!

Beth

Re: Get without setting a working folder

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:43 pm

I have a feature request open that I can add your "vote" to. In the meantime, what you might try doing is just setting a working folder at $. You don't have to perform a Get or have the files on disk. Just having the working folder set is enough. Then, when you perform a Get, you will change the destination in the Get window. The Get doesn't have to go to a working folder

F: 10987
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Marcel

Post by Marcel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:48 am

Thanks! Clever workaround :D

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:16 am

You're welcome.
Beth Kieler

Marcel

Post by Marcel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:57 am

By the way, did you add my vote?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:35 am

Yes. I have added your vote.
Beth Kieler

ajj3085

Post by ajj3085 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Please add my vote to this feature request.

Could I also add another feature request? Remove the concept of a working folder, or at least have an option which doesn't require it's use. The reason is that at my new job we are using SVN, and while I have no plans to leave Fortress, being able to just work wherever I happen to pull the files down (SVN checkout) is very nice. As it is right now, I'm having to set and remove working folders to work with either trunk or branch (because both "remember" that they used to be on an R: drive).

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:36 am

I've added your vote and the new feature request. Thank you for your feedback.

F: 15541, 10987
Beth Kieler