Risk Field For Item Tracking

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mlukas

Risk Field For Item Tracking

Post by mlukas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:13 am

We are currently upgrading our Quality Management System to allow us to meet IEC 13485 and achieve a CE mark on our products. We currently use Fortress for item tracking. While it has priority field, it does not have a risk field and determinng and tracking risk is a requirement of meeting IEC 13485. I have read some other posts asking for a similar feature.

In the interim, I was hoping that I could re-purpose one of the other fields that we currently don't use (or use sparingly). The possible choices are Time Estimate, Category and Platform (this would be least desirable since we do use this field). Since we want to track risk on all items, it would be best if the field was one that applied globally (ie didn't require configuration for every item tracking project). This would suggest that Time Estimate (which we currently don't use) would be the best choice.

I have renamed the time estimate choices, but would now like to change the label displayed within Fortress from Time Estimate to Risk. Would it be possible to edit the asp code to change the text for the label? If so, can you provide the names of the files that would need to be edited?

If you can think of a better way to achieve the same result, I'm all ears.

Thanks

lbauer

Re: Risk Field For Item Tracking

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:02 pm

It's possible to edit certain files to change the label name, but since so much of the web client is generated dynamically, there might be unexpected results. We've never tested renaming a field.

Are the existing custom fields already being used?

We do plan to add custom fields in the next major release of Fortress, but we don't have a target date as yet.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mlukas

Post by mlukas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:15 pm

We are currently using both custom fields. In addition, there are only 4 possible values for risk so we would like to use a drop down list. Using a custom field would require free text entry and thus we couldn't ensure that the values entered were all consistent.

Would it be possible for you to indicate the files where the text "Time Estimate" is used. We could then try to change the text and see what happens.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:57 am

I'll discuss this further with our developers. Meanwhile, email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager