Updating File Status

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mlukas

Updating File Status

Post by mlukas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:44 am

Is there a reliable way to force Fortress to update the status of each file?

Using the GUI client, if you change the working folder association for a project, Fortress will display the status as Unknown. If you then do a Get Latest on a file or do a Show Differences on a file, it seems to start a process of updating the status of each file. However, the process doesn't seem to run through to completion. It will update the status for many of the files, but not all. Then you are forced to manually do an operation on each file to get its status updated.

When Fortress is working on updating the file status, it does not automatically refresh the display. Pressing the Refresh button also doesn't update the display. The display is only updated if you display the contents of a different folder and then move back to the original folder.

If you do a Show Differences on the whole folder, Fortress shows whether each file is identical or different, but this doesn't cause the status of each individual file to be updated.

lbauer

Re: Updating File Status

Post by lbauer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 pm

Fortress keeps maintains a baseline of each file so that it can determine the status of files. When you set a working directory to a folder which has pre-existing files, Fortress has no baselines to compare with, so it doesn't know the file status. Sometimes it can determine the status through a Diff or the use of CRCs. But the most reliable way to update the status is to do a get latest with overwrite, which will re-fetch the files from the server and create the baselines.

If you think you have modified files in the working folder, you could back them up, then do a Get with overwrite, and replace the files in the working directory.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mlukas

Post by mlukas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:33 am

I was hoping that Fortress would be able to tell me whether any of the files have changed. That's one of things that I like about the GUI client is that it will tell me if something has been modified even if I can't remember.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:57 am

There are limitations to determining the status when it comes to Unknown, since Vault uses baselines or CRC's (which don't always help). We have feature request 14141 already logged to look into ways we can handle this better; I will add your "vote."

Thanks for the feedback.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager