Labelling entire solution

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jsiegmund

Labelling entire solution

Post by jsiegmund » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 am

Hi,

I have another feature request I would like to add. At the moment, it's possible to label a folder in sourcecontrol. We use those labels to track different versions of our software. A minor problem with this is that these labels only let us retrieve the sourcecode for that folder and everything beneith it. We use a couple of framework projects which are used in multiple projects. Therefore, these projects aren't situated in the same folder as the solution, but they're added as an existing project in Visual Studio.

You probably get where I'm going with this; it it possible to label a solution so all underlying projects are labellen with that particular version number? This version should only apply to the solution; when I view the labels of for instance the framework project, I don't want all individual solution labels there (that would become a mess). But it should be possible to retrieve version 1.2 of a solution with all underlying projects, so including the ones which arent in the solution folder.

As for the labelling; it would be nice if one could right click the solution in VS, choose "Label entire Solution" and then get a dialog in which the label name and description can be set. A corresponding "Retrieve by label" option should be there too offcourse.

Is such a thing already possible via a workaround perhaps?

Beth

Re: Labelling entire solution

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Here's 2 routes you can take:

1) Share the projects that are outside the solution to the solution folder. You would then add in, bind, and work from the share that is with the solution instead of the copy that is outside the solution folder. Then, when you label the solution folder, your additional project is included in the one label. This is the easiest for most users to work with.

2) This one assumes you leave their locations where they are. Label the solution folder and the project folder separately, but with the same label. When you perform a Get by label, you will need to perform that Get on each folder then instead of on one parent folder.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:44 am

1) Would that imply that there are multiple copies of the same project on my local disk?

2) That's not an option, I trust myself but I don't trust others to do this labelling properly. If Fotress could do the same by a Label Solution and a Get Solution by Label option, that would be great.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:16 pm

I can take a feature request then. I don't know of other options that would get you close to what you want. Thank you for your feedback.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support