Move Databases

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

AjarnMark

Move Databases

Post by AjarnMark » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:05 pm

We are planning a move of our Fortress databases from a SQL 2005 instance to SQL 2008 on a different machine. I am well versed in SQL Server backup and restore, which is our planned method of performing this move, and I am aware of the three databases (sgdragnet, sgvault, and sgmaster) that need to be moved. We are on 2.0.1.18729 and are not planning any other upgrade at the same time, just the database move. Here are my questions:
  • Presumably, a connection string will have to be updated in order to point to the new instance. Is there a recommended method other than directly editing the .config file?
  • Is there more than one config setting that needs to be changed? In case it matters, we are using SQL Authentication at this time.
  • I believe the SQL password is encrypted in the config file. Is there a tool to change the password? It would be nice to do this at the same time.
This seems pretty simple and straight-forward. Is there anything I am overlooking?

Thanks,

lbauer

Re: Move Databases

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:49 pm

The simplest way to do this is to uninstall, Fortress, move the databases to the new SQL Server machine and reinstall Fortress. The sgvaultuser password is the same as the Fortress Admin password, so you can change it at that time.

Or, you can move the databases then edit the connection string for "Server" in the Fortress web.config file in the Vault Service directory on the Fortress Server machine.

<SQLSERVERMODE-add key="ConnectString" value="Application Name='SourceGear Vault Server'; Connection Reset='true'; Server=(local); Database=sgvault; User ID=UUUUUUUU; pwd=PPPPPPPP" /> SQLSERVERMODE>

More info here:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=924

If you wish to change the sgvaultuser password without reinstalling, there's a workaround: change "pwd=" to "password=" in the connect string and you can enter the password in the clear. If you want the password to be encrypted, then uninstalling/reinstalling is your best bet.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager