Branching file after folder share

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

fprevatt

Branching file after folder share

Post by fprevatt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:14 pm

I am using Fortress Client version 1.1.4

I have a app that requires both a 32 and 64 bit versions to be compiled. Most of the files in the projects will be the same, but a few will be unique to the version. I want to share most of the files and only branch those that require uniqueness.

According to the documentation:
Copy Branch
A Copy Branch allows you to branch any file or folder, whether it is shared or not. For more information, please see Branch Items.

To open the Branch dialog box select a file or folder then either:

· From the Source menu, select Branch
· Select Branch on the Toolbar

Specify a folder/file name

Select a folder in the tree to place the branched version, and if desired, provide a new name for the copy of the file.
I shared the folder that contains the files between the two versions and then tried branching the files that will need to be unique, however I am getting an error when trying to branch files:

[2/22/2010 12:43:07 PM] Beginning transaction
[2/22/2010 12:43:07 PM] Item $/32-bit/ArchiveService/ArchiveService.vbproj caused the transaction to fail: An item with the same name or object id already exists in the selected folder.
[2/22/2010 12:43:07 PM] Transaction failed

How can I branch the file w/o branching the entire folder?

Thank you for your help.

--Frank Prevatt

lbauer

Re: Branching file after folder share

Post by lbauer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi Frank,

I see you've also e-mailed technical support.

When you share a folder, the contents of each shared folder are identical and any change made to one folder is reflected in the other. The files are secondarily shared.

What you need in this case, where some files in the folder will be different, is to have two different folders with the files shared as primary shares.

If your project is too large to easily do this manually, we have a Fortress Power Toy you can use, called the VSS Share Wizard. It's available from our Power Toy downloads page:

http://sourcegear.com/fortress/fortresspowertoys.html
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager