Import - Subversion to Fortress with history

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

seanwideopenwest

Import - Subversion to Fortress with history

Post by seanwideopenwest » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:04 pm

We need to start the process of moving Subversion repositories into fortress but are reluctant to lose our versioning history. For a long while I haven't needed to leave commented out code nor leave in things that I *might* need later. This makes for some clean projects and with good comments makes it easy to find this code later. For this reason and others I find that I simply need the code history and would prefer it to be included in the repository rather than spread across multiple platforms.

I see a tool for importing from VSS and a document explaining why SourceGear feels that fortress is better than subversion, but I don't see an import tool. If SourceGear is serious about pulling users over from Subversion wouldn't it help to provide a tool that imports from Subversion to Fortress without losing version history and comments?

Has anyone here gone through the trouble of writing this tool (if fortress even provides a command line interface)? Even better, SourceGear, can you provide us with a tool that imports from Subversion to Fortress.

In case versions matter here is what we run
Subversion 1.5.1 (r32289) (previously by Tigris but now by Apache)
Run using VisualSVNServer version 1.5.2
in Windows Server 2003 R2 SE SP2 32bit

Clients connect using TortoiseSVN 1.6.6 Build 17493 32 Bit

Beth

Re: Import - Subversion to Fortress with history

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Currently we don't have a tool for importing from Subversion. I have a feature request open that I can add your "vote" to.

The source control side of Fortress does have a command-line client, and we make the client API (found in the downloads area) available as well.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

seanwideopenwest

Post by seanwideopenwest » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:51 pm

Beth wrote:Currently we don't have a tool for importing from Subversion. I have a feature request open that I can add your "vote" to.

The source control side of Fortress does have a command-line client, and we make the client API (found in the downloads area) available as well.
Please add my vote. The API or command line client might be what I need.

Thanks

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:58 pm

I've added your "vote."

To create your own import, then you will want to use either the API or the command-line client. I think most use the API. If you download the client API, you will see there is a help document in the zip file to help you use it. Also, on our forum, there is an entire section devoted to just using the client API called Development Tips.

F: 13606
Beth Kieler

seanwideopenwest

Post by seanwideopenwest » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Beth wrote:I've added your "vote."

To create your own import, then you will want to use either the API or the command-line client. I think most use the API. If you download the client API, you will see there is a help document in the zip file to help you use it. Also, on our forum, there is an entire section devoted to just using the client API called Development Tips.

F: 13606
Thank you for the suggesion. I'll start with the API.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:16 pm

You're welcome.
Beth Kieler