No server was found at the specified URL

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dihaws

No server was found at the specified URL

Post by dihaws » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:59 am

I have found quite a few entries for this error message, but none with the same symptoms and configuration that I have, and none whose solution helped me resolve my issue.

I have a Dell Latitude E6500 running Windows 7 Ultimate and a Dell Desktop running Windows Vista Business. Both have worked with the Fortress client 2.01 (1879) connecting to a server at our datacenter that is running on a MS 2003 R2 SP2 and running MSQL2008.

My Latitude connects wirelessly and I work from my home 80% of the time.

Last week, I started getting this error on the Lattitude, but I can go to the desktop and login without issue. That is fine until the first time I go to a client's site and don't lug my desktop with me.

One of my co-workers came to my house with their Dell Latitude E6500 (but running Windows Vista Business), connected to Fortress just fine. Further on my notebook, when I get the error it references the URL http://vault.turinsoftware.com/VaultService. I can then paste this into a browser and go to a welcome page for Fortress. From a link on this page I can then login to the server and peruse files, check-in and check-out and if I login as admin, perform all of the normal admin functionality.

My network settings for fortress are: Use Chunked is unchecked. Use Expect: is checked, Request Database delta is checked. Of the three radion buttons the Do Not Use a Proxy is selected although I have also tried with the Use default system proxy: No System Proxy specified. I do not use a proxy from home nor do we have one at the datacenter.

I have beat my head against a wall trying to figure out what has changed on the notebook or the server or my home network or the data center network, and cannot think of a thing. I am the administrator of both networks so I would know if something has been changed.

I f anyone can think of anything else for me to check that might lead to a cure, I would be grateful.

Beth

Re: No server was found at the specified URL

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:24 pm

On your Latitude, you say you can reach the URL http://vault.turinsoftware.com/VaultService in a browser, correct?

When you get the error that you can't connect to http://vault.turinsoftware.com/VaultService, is that with the Fortress GUI client or when you are integrated with Visual Studio or some other integration?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

dihaws

Post by dihaws » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:51 am

1) Yes, I connect via the browser when I type in the URL of http://vault.turinsoftware.com/vaultservice

2) I am referring to the Fortress Client. I use Visual Studio 2008, and gives a failure to connect error. I was just focusing on the client in the hopes that fixing it, will resolve the other.

Don

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:57 pm

Can you also reach http://vault.turinsoftware.com/vaultser ... rvice.asmx?

Could you look for a file called VaultGUIclient.txt found in %username%\app data\local\temp and post any recent errors in that file?

Can you look inside your Event Viewer logs to see if there are any errors there?

Have you tried running Vault as administrator to see if you get any different results?
Beth Kieler

dihaws

Post by dihaws » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Yes, I can reach the URL to vaultservice.asmx I think you should be able to reach this as well.

I get the same error when attempting to login to windows client as admin. I can log into website as admin without issue.

From your logs: (There are entries prior to 4/7/2010 but I could not see where they were different from the below.
4/7/2010 12:46:34 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:5460] [System.Exception: Unable to connect to http://vault.turinsoftware.com/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: Unable to connect to the remote server
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(String strURLBase, String strUserLogin, String strPassword)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Login(String urlbase, String username, String password)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ConnectToServer(String& outserverPath, Boolean forceDialogShow, String& outprofileName, String& outusername, Boolean& outbUseSSL, Boolean& outbAutoLogin)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)]Unable to connect to http://vault.turinsoftware.com/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: Unable to connect to the remote server
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(String strURLBase, String strUserLogin, String strPassword)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Login(String urlbase, String username, String password)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ConnectToServer(String& outserverPath, Boolean forceDialogShow, String& outprofileName, String& outusername, Boolean& outbUseSSL, Boolean& outbAutoLogin)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)

Stack Trace:
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ShowCommandException(Exception e, IWin32Window dialogOwner)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ShowCommandException(Exception e)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.Start()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

4/7/2010 12:48:09 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:5460] [System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions 75.127.90.184:80
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)]An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions 75.127.90.184:80
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
[System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions 75.127.90.184:80
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context)
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VaultClientNetLib.ClientService.VaultService.ValidateServiceVersions(Int32[] clientSupportedVersions)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(String strURLBase, String strUserLogin, String strPassword)]Unable to connect to the remote server
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VaultClientNetLib.ClientService.VaultService.ValidateServiceVersions(Int32[] clientSupportedVersions)

Stack Trace:
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

4/7/2010 12:48:09 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:5460] [System.Exception: Unable to connect to http://vault.turinsoftware.com/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: Unable to connect to the remote server
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)]Unable to connect to http://vault.turinsoftware.com/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: Unable to connect to the remote server

Stack Trace:
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ShowCommandException(Exception e, IWin32Window dialogOwner)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ShowCommandException(Exception e)

4/7/2010 7:38:51 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:49156] [System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions 75.127.90.184:80
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)]An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions 75.127.90.184:80
[System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions 75.127.90.184:80
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(String strURLBase, String strUserLogin, String strPassword)]Unable to connect to the remote server

Stack Trace:

4/7/2010 7:38:51 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:49156] [System.Exception: Unable to connect to http://vault.turinsoftware.com/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: Unable to connect to the remote server

Stack Trace:

4/7/2010 8:00:47 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:49156] [System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions 75.127.90.184:80

Stack Trace:

4/7/2010 8:00:47 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:49156] [System.Exception: Unable to connect to http://vault.turinsoftware.com/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: Unable to connect to the remote server

Stack Trace:

4/7/2010 8:01:10 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:49156] [System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions 75.127.90.184:80

Stack Trace:

4/7/2010 8:01:10 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:49156] [System.Exception: Unable to connect to http://vault.turinsoftware.com/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: Unable to connect to the remote server

Stack Trace:

I could only find one related event entrey:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PCA2
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: VaultGUIClient.exe
P2: 2.0.1.18729
P3: SourceGear Vault Windows Client
P4: SourceGear Vault Windows Client
P5: SourceGear LLC
P6: 100
P7: 0
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\PCWFA90.tmp
C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\ACGFA91.tmp

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_VaultGUIClient.e_cd672a1d0b14a1be2cd25c4b8eaffe93503765_cab_56ccfd7d

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 2d14e720-4264-11df-9a52-0017fad3c07c

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Windows Error Reporting

- EventID 1001

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 4

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-04-07T16:39:47.000000000Z

EventRecordID 32215

Channel Application

Computer Wambaugh

Security

- EventData

PCA2
Not available
VaultGUIClient.exe
SourceGear Vault Windows Client
SourceGear Vault Windows Client
SourceGear LLC

C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\PCWFA90.tmp C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\ACGFA91.tmp
C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_VaultGUIClient.e_cd672a1d0b14a1be2cd25c4b8eaffe93503765_cab_56ccfd7d

2d14e720-4264-11df-9a52-0017fad3c07c

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:41 am

The thing that caught my attention here was:
4/7/2010 8:01:10 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:49156] [System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions 75.127.90.184:80

One thing you might try is to check your Windows 7 installation for any corrupted files using these instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833.

It could be a case of where the port needed is exclusively bound to something else. Run the following command to see what is bound already:
netstat -anop TCP

In your Control Panel - Programs and Features are any .NET frameworks listed? If so, you could perform a repair install. I don't think they get listed in Windows 7 though, but it can't hurt to check.
Beth Kieler

dihaws

Post by dihaws » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:42 pm

You are correct, .Net is not listed in the control panel anymore. 3.51 SP1 is now built into the OS and was checked with the scan files routine I ran as per the URL. No problems found with anything.

Here is the results from NetStat (you did not tell me what port you were interested in.

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
TCP 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 4
TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1036
TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 4
TCP 0.0.0.0:554 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 7332
TCP 0.0.0.0:1025 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 528
TCP 0.0.0.0:1026 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1104
TCP 0.0.0.0:1027 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1160
TCP 0.0.0.0:1030 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 600
TCP 0.0.0.0:1034 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 592
TCP 0.0.0.0:1037 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 5332
TCP 0.0.0.0:1047 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1896
TCP 0.0.0.0:1069 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 6172
TCP 0.0.0.0:1433 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 3124
TCP 0.0.0.0:2383 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 3284
TCP 0.0.0.0:2492 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 7316
TCP 0.0.0.0:2869 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 4
TCP 0.0.0.0:5357 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 4
TCP 0.0.0.0:10078 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 2216
TCP 0.0.0.0:10243 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 4
TCP 10.200.1.74:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 4
TCP 10.200.1.74:1035 75.127.94.228:5732 ESTABLISHED 2276
TCP 10.200.1.74:1038 10.200.1.74:1433 ESTABLISHED 3380
TCP 10.200.1.74:1044 10.200.1.74:1433 ESTABLISHED 4220
TCP 10.200.1.74:1090 207.46.124.84:1863 ESTABLISHED 7232
TCP 10.200.1.74:1175 96.17.75.179:80 CLOSE_WAIT 7752
TCP 10.200.1.74:1433 10.200.1.74:1038 ESTABLISHED 3124
TCP 10.200.1.74:1433 10.200.1.74:1044 ESTABLISHED 3124
TCP 10.200.1.74:2492 65.55.122.231:2492 ESTABLISHED 7316
TCP 10.200.1.74:2492 65.55.122.232:2492 ESTABLISHED 7316
TCP 127.0.0.1:1085 127.0.0.1:2492 ESTABLISHED 7316
TCP 127.0.0.1:1099 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 7232
TCP 127.0.0.1:1099 127.0.0.1:1100 ESTABLISHED 7232
TCP 127.0.0.1:1100 127.0.0.1:1099 ESTABLISHED 7232
TCP 127.0.0.1:1171 127.0.0.1:9080 ESTABLISHED 5484
TCP 127.0.0.1:1434 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 3124
TCP 127.0.0.1:2492 127.0.0.1:1085 ESTABLISHED 7316
TCP 127.0.0.1:5800 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 3384
TCP 127.0.0.1:5900 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 3384
TCP 127.0.0.1:9080 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 7316
TCP 127.0.0.1:9080 127.0.0.1:1171 ESTABLISHED 7316

Also, tI have remembered something that I have doen to the computer since the last time Fortress worked, and that was to install the Fortress Add-in for Eclipse. Not sure if that is affecting this issue or not.

Thanks,
Don

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:05 pm

Where I was going with checking the ports was that it's possible that some program has exclusively bound to the port Fortress wants to use. I need to do some more looking into this before I can give further instructions on looking at the ports.

In the meantime, there are other possible root causes that can be looked at.

1) You could check your disk by running

Code: Select all

Chkdsk /f 
. Does it show any disk problems or fix anything? Any changes to how the Vault GUI client works for you?

2) One thing you might try is to check your Windows 7 installation for any corrupted files using these instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833.

3) You could try a Windows 7 repair, which should also repair your .NET framework.
Beth Kieler