Fortress Client and Eclipse dont' synch up.

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ecobb

Fortress Client and Eclipse dont' synch up.

Post by ecobb » Wed May 12, 2010 2:16 pm

We keep having problems trying to get the Fortress Client and Eclipse to be on the same page. Basically, if you do a "Get Latest Version" in Eclipse, the Fortress Client then shows every file in your repository as needing to be committed. Likewise, if you do a "Get Latest Version" in the Fortress Client then Eclipse shows every file in the repository as needing to be committed.

This is starting to create some major roadblocks in our whole branch/merge process.
My work is a game, a very serious game. - M. C. Escher

Beth

Re: Fortress Client and Eclipse dont' synch up.

Post by Beth » Thu May 13, 2010 9:10 am

Which version of Eclipse are you using and which version of Fortress?

Which version of Java do you have? Include the Java vendor and version.

Which method of method of plugin install did you use (manual or Eclipse update manager)?

What OS is your machine running?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

ecobb

Post by ecobb » Thu May 13, 2010 9:32 am

This is happening on every developer machine in our office, 6 of them total, each with multiple OS and Eclipse configurations.

Here's my personal setup:
Windows 7 64-bit
Eclipse 64-bit SDK Version: 3.5.2, Build id: M20100211-1343
Fortress Version 2.0.3.18802
Fortress plugin (version 2.0.3.18802) was installed with Eclipse update manager
Sun Java 6 Standard Edition, Version 6 update 16, build 1.6.0_16-b01

It's also happening on 2 Windows XP boxes (32-bit OS), using Eclipse Classic 3.5.2 (32-bit), and 3 other Windows 7 64-bit boxes that are running Eclipse Classic 3.5.2 (32-bit) and Eclipse 3.5.2 64-bit. All Java versions should be up to date, and all Fortress plugins were installed with Eclipse update manager.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu May 13, 2010 4:55 pm

It could be that the Fortress Client and Eclipse two different cache folder locations. They should match. Try setting both Eclipse and Fortress to store the cache information in the working folder. In Eclipse, that information is found in the Preferences dialog. In the Fortress client, that is in Tools - Options - Local Files - Cache location.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

ecobb

Post by ecobb » Fri May 14, 2010 9:09 am

Thanks Beth!

I tried that but unfortunately it didn't fix anything. Here's what I tried:
  • I manually set both Eclipse and Fortress to use the same Client Cache Folder, then set them both to use "In Working Folder" for the state/baseline file storage.
  • I removed the working folder association in the Fortress Client
  • I disconnected the project from Fortress in Eclipse, then completely deleted the project and all files.
  • I restarted both Eclipse and the Fortress Client, and verified that the settings were correct.
  • I created the working folder association in the Fortress Client
  • I created a new project in Eclipse, then I imported the project from Fortress.
  • The Fortress Client now shows every file in my project as needing to be committed.
  • Tell Fortress Client to Get Latest Version, it no longer shows any files needing to be committed.
  • Eclipse now shows every file as being modified and needing to be committed.

ecobb

Post by ecobb » Tue May 18, 2010 9:04 am

Are there any other suggestions for this?

This is really starting to cause us some major problems. We actually had to set the Fortress Client up on a separate computer and now have to log in to it to do merges because our local Fortress clients are so out of synch with everything that they can't be trusted to accurately do the merge.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue May 18, 2010 10:21 am

Something unexpected is definitely happening. Could you try looking at the timestamp on the files between the get operations? Also, could you try checking the Use CRC option in the GUI client and Eclipse?
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

ecobb

Post by ecobb » Tue May 18, 2010 10:38 am

That did it! Checking the "Detect modified files using CRCs" box in the Fortress GUI options seemed to fix it.

I couldn't find the option in Eclipse, but in this case Eclipse was already showing the files correctly and Fortress was showing all of the files as needing to be committed. When I checked it in Fortress once it refreshed everything matched up in both the Fortress GUI and Eclipse.

Thanks Jeremy, you rock! :D