Feature Request: Item Tracking Links for Deleted Objects

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

AjarnMark

Feature Request: Item Tracking Links for Deleted Objects

Post by AjarnMark » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:57 am

Scenario: An item is added to source control and over time, changes are made to it and checked-in, with linking to Item Tracking items turned on, so the links to the source item and version are automatically created in the check-in comment. Later the item is deleted (but not Obliterated) from source control, and a new item with the exact same name is added to source control as a replacement for the earlier one. I understand and agree with the fact that these are two different objects even though the name is the same. Subsequently, this new object has changes made and checked-in, with automatic comments/links added to an Item Tracking item.

Note that in the Item Tracking comments, there are two types of auto-generated comment links: whole object (shown as source control path/object) and checked-in version-specific (shown as a version number for each object).

Doing some testing recently, I discovered that the version-specific comment links continue to work for the deleted object. That is, if i click on the version number in a comment that was generated from the original (now deleted) object in source control, it will show me DIFF for that specific version of the deleted object. Looking at the URL generated, it appears to pass in the Object ID. This is perfect! PLEASE do not ever change this behavior.

However, the whole object links (the ones that display the path of the object in source control) do not work the same way. These appear to be based on actual pathing and name, because when I click on the whole object link for the old, deleted object, it opens a page showing me the history of the current (new) object by that name. Can this be changed to be Object ID based like the other one and open a history page of the deleted object instead? Of course, if I clicked on the whole object link for the new object, it should show that one instead.

Thanks!

lbauer

Re: Feature Request: Item Tracking Links for Deleted Objects

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:02 pm

We'd like to test this here. What version of Fortress are you using?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

AjarnMark

Post by AjarnMark » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:28 am

2.0.1.18729 on both client and server.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:33 pm

I set up a scenario that I think matches what you described, but I don't understand what you're seeing here:
Doing some testing recently, I discovered that the version-specific comment links continue to work for the deleted object. That is, if i click on the version number in a comment that was generated from the original (now deleted) object in source control, it will show me DIFF for that specific version of the deleted object. Looking at the URL generated, it appears to pass in the Object ID. This is perfect! PLEASE do not ever change this behavior.
Could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing in the version-specific comment links?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

AjarnMark

Post by AjarnMark » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:19 pm

Email sent ATTN: Linda with screen shots and link to this post.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:12 pm

OK, I see what you mean. Not sure if the current behavior is a bug or a feature, I agree that seeing the diff on the original file can be helpful.
Can this be changed to be Object ID based like the other one and open a history page of the deleted object instead?
It's probably possible, since we keep the history of deleted items unless they are oblitered.

I've logged feature request 15495 for this functionality. I'm not sure when or if it might be implemented. Thanks for the feedback.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear