"Missing" Files

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jmgroft

"Missing" Files

Post by jmgroft » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm having a little trouble with 'disappearing' files within a repository.

I have two users set up - both with full admin access - although I call one "Admin" and the other "John". I have a single repository with a project in it.

Everything was fine until this morning. I'm not sure what happened, but from within Visual Studio 2010, I tried to create my project from Fortress (using the "Open from Fortress" option under "File\Fortress Source Control". Several files were missing. (I was logged in as "John".)

When I open up the Fortress Client (as John), the files are missing. The do not show up as deleted files when I click right click on the folder and choose "Properties." However, when I log in as the other user "Admin." The files appear in the repository and show up as exclusively checked out by "John". Both users have identical rights, but as John, I can't see the files or retrieve them.

Am I not understanding something or is this a bug?

lbauer

Re: "Missing" Files

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Check each client's pending change set at the bottom of the Fortress GUI Client. It's possible there are file "ADD" operations pending, but not yet checked in. The client view is behaving as if those files have already been added. The user also probably has the "missing" files in his working directory, but they're not in the repository yet.

Once the items in the pending change set are committed, you should be able to see the files in the repository.

Another option is to delete the client-side cache, as it may be out of sync with the database. Close any open clients first.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=11513
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jmgroft

Post by jmgroft » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:19 am

Thank you. There were no additional clients with pending changes. Although I suppose it's possible that I deleted a folder before the pending changes were committed. That's my best guess.

So I deleted the client-side cache as per your instructions and that made the 'missing' files show up for the "John" user. At that point, I was able to check the files in because the versions that I wanted were in the working folder. I did have one file that 'needed a merge," but I resolved that as well.

Thanks for your help! :D

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks for the update. That's good news. : )
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager