Error rebinding solutions

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ajj3085

Error rebinding solutions

Post by ajj3085 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:10 am

Hi,

I get an error when rebinding solutions. Everything ends up working, but thought I should report it anyway.

I open a project which was already under Vault 3.5 SCC. I get a message saying the bindings are not longer valid, and I choose to Permanently remove the bindings. Close VSS, saving my changes.

I then re-open the solution and choose Bind from the solution explorer context menu. I choose where the solution already exists in VSS (very nice UI for this by the way... works much better than the old one).

I then get a message box:
---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
The operation could not be completed. Not implemented
OK

The Save As dialog then opens asking to save Solution Items. I cancel this. Then I get a message saying the project file has changed, Reload or Ignore. I choose Reload.

After that, everything seems to be find after I resolve Merge conflicts on the solution.

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:39 am

The following steps have been working best for me when rebinding from 3.5 to fortress:

1. before opening the solution is vs, first checkout the solution using the fortress client.
2. open the solution (still has the old bindings)
3. permanently remove bindings, save and close the solution.
4. open vs (and solution) and change the source control plugin (tools->options) to fortress for 2005.
5. right click and bind the solution, which will automatically check out modify the other projects in the solution.
6. save and close vs.
7. checkin the solution and project files using the fortress client.

now, step 7 may not be necessary for you...but i have to do it that way because VS will crash if i do not...but thats a separate issue that i was told will be resolved shortly.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:14 pm

ajj3085,

It looks like you're using solution files and folders. We're in the final stages of testing a fix for this issue. If you're interested in trying a pre-release build of 1.0.1 to see if it fixes your issue, please email me using the button below this post.

sirkirby,

Yes, we will have a fix for your crash. Thanks for being patient.

ajj3085

Post by ajj3085 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Jeremy,

I installed the build you sent to me and tried it with three solutions I had not yet converted to Fortress integration. The problem seems to be fixed.

Also, I don't know what caused the change, but it seems like I can now rebind solutions without removing items "outside of the binding root." Hopefully that also means that VS won't create a bunch of folders I don't want it to in Fortress when I initially add my solution with such items (and I always will have it set up like that).

The new Vault also seems much quicker, and I've been pretty happy with it despite the few bumps.

Now I just have to wait for Inovasys to update their just released Vault integration. :D

lynnroth

Post by lynnroth » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:31 pm

jeremy_sg wrote: It looks like you're using solution files and folders. We're in the final stages of testing a fix for this issue. If you're interested in trying a pre-release build of 1.0.1 to see if it fixes your issue, please email me using the button below this post.
This 1.0.1 build fixed my issue with binding in VS2005 with solution files.

Thanks for the quick fix.
Lynn Roth
Interactive Financial Solutions, Inc.