checking in .net website after a rebind to fortress

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

sirkirby

checking in .net website after a rebind to fortress

Post by sirkirby » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:38 pm

I'll describe the steps to put question/issue in context:

1. successfully rebind a solution from vault 3.5 to fortress within visual studio.
2. rebuild a website within the solution, containing several assembly references. e.g. class.dll.refresh files in the bin directory under source control.

previously, in vault 3.5, the project check in would only see or import the .dll.refresh file in the bin directory. but now its seems, with the fortress VS client, that it sees the dll's themselves as new files to be checked in after the rebuild...which is not the desirable functionality.

so, not sure if this is a bug or more of a feature request. please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:54 pm

I should also add that it is now also seeing the .pdb and comment .xml files of the referenced assemblies as adds as well...which wasn't the case prior to fortress.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:56 pm

I'll log it to our bug/features database and have our developers take a look.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

gmagana

Post by gmagana » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:54 am

This reminds me of an old bug that was fixed in VS2005 SP1, the /bin/ folder of web applications (along with its contents, compiled binaries or not) was being checked in.

I assume you have VS2005 SP1, right? Otherwise it just might be the same bug showing up because of the change in the source control binding to VS2005 with Vault 4...

Here is the old bug report:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStud ... kID=105516

The workarounds posted on that web page may work out for you...
gabriel magana-gonzalez

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am

Yes, I'm running sp1 with the sp1 vista update.

I tried all of the suggestions in the linked article, but none were able to alleviate the problem.

Hopefully the sourcegear team will be able to reproduce it and provide a fix in the next update.

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:20 am

Also, i forgot to mention that this issue is not happening to me in every solution containing websites under source control. So far, its only affecting the very first solution i rebound to fortress.

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:57 pm

This is still a problem for me with certain websites even with v1.0.2. Have you been able to confirm this? or, do you have an eta on the fix?

Thank you,

Chris

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:01 pm

This is a confirmed problem on Web site projects (not to be confused with web application or web service projects). Unfortunately the fix will not make 1.0.3, due to be released in the next few days, but I expect it to make the next maintenance release.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:02 am

Hey guys,

This appears to be working now...however, the dll's, pdb's, and xml comment files are still showing in the pending changes window. Can you check in to that as well?

Thank,

Chris

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:58 am

Actually, I'll have to take that back. I'm still having this issue with some web site's. We also had an incident with checking in a modified solution. We modified it and proceed to checkin, with the checkin window only showing the solution (as expected). We then came to find out that it checked in (added) all of the referenced dll's, pdb's, and xml comment files from the 2 web sites in the solution in the background. So now the problems appears to be even more complex.

please let me know,

Chris

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:46 am

This is a confirmed problem on Web site projects (not to be confused with web application or web service projects). Unfortunately the fix did not make 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 (which was just 1.0.3 with a corrected installer). I expect it to be in the next maintenance release.

Note that the issue only manifests itself when Adding things to source control. So any time you do one of the following:

1) Add solution containing a web site to Fortress
2) Add a new web site project to a Fortress-controlled solution
3) Add a new folder to a Fortress-controlled web site project

You simply need to remove any pending adds from the list that you don't want included.

If you already have files like this in source control, you have to delete them from the repository, which is easiest via the stand-alone client.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear