"Add Solution to Fortress" Hangs on large solution

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:03 pm

Ryan:

Adding with the MSSCCI client and then trying to use the VSIP client from then on won't work.

More importantly, though, I'd like to understand why it's failing to add in either client. Can you turn on logging for the 2005 client and do the add, and send me the log? You can post it here or email it to ian at sourcegear dot com.

(Edit: corrected link)
Last edited by ian_sg on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

rgrimard

Post by rgrimard » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:24 pm

ian_sg wrote:Ryan:

Adding with the MSSCCI client and then trying to use the VSIP client from then on won't work.

More importantly, though, I'd like to understand why it's failing to add in either client. Can you turn on logging for the 2005 client and do the add, and send me the log? You can post it here or email it to ian at sourcegear dot com.
Your link to "turn off logging" is incorrect. It links to THIS same post. How can I turn on logging?

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:26 pm

Sorry about that. Here's the link you want: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=5375
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

rgrimard

Post by rgrimard » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:46 am

ian_sg wrote:Sorry about that. Here's the link you want: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=5375
Can't seem to get logging to work. Here is my devenv.exe.config app settings section:
<appSettings>
<add key="enableLogging" value="true" />
<add key="classesToLog" value="all" />
<add key="includeLoggingStackTraces" value="false" />
<add key="includeThreadInfo" value="true" />
</appSettings>

I searched for Vault*.txt on my hard drive and nothing pops up. Any ideas?

rgrimard

Post by rgrimard » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:39 pm

ian_sg wrote:Ryan:

(Edit: corrected link)
I turned on logging and did not get a log file. However, I let the "add to vault" dialog churn for hours (basically all day). It finished and gave me a commit dialog with all my files ready to be checked in!! I click commit and a while later I got the following error message:

Updating the working folder failed for the following files:
$/Source/Server/widgets/subfolder/apptemplatedetail.aspx (System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VaultClientOperationsLib.WorkingFolderState_1.SetBaselineVersion(Int64 ID, Int64 objVerID, Int64 displayVersion)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.WorkingFolder.UpdateWorkingFile(VaultClientFile file, Int64 targetVersion, Int64 displayVersion, MergeType merge, VaultDateTime dt, Boolean makeBackups, OverwritePrompt PromptData)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UpdateWorkingFolderItemAfterCommit(ChangeSetItem item, VaultDateTime serverCheckIn, MakeWritableType makeWritable)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Commit(ChangeSetItemColl givenItems, String strChangeSetComment, Boolean keepCheckedOut, Boolean removeLocalCopy, CommitType committype, VaultDateTime dateImport, Int32 nUserIDImport, Int64& nRevID, Int32[]& retBegEndTx))

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:51 pm

Ryan,

It sounds to me like you're actually using the MSSCCI (2003-compatible) client. This is fine, it just means somebody more knowledgeable than me on that client will need to get involved.

To confirm this, can you tell me what menus/commands you're clicking on to add this solution to Vault?
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

rgrimard

Post by rgrimard » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:16 pm

ian_sg wrote:Ryan,

It sounds to me like you're actually using the MSSCCI (2003-compatible) client. This is fine, it just means somebody more knowledgeable than me on that client will need to get involved.

To confirm this, can you tell me what menus/commands you're clicking on to add this solution to Vault?
I'm definitely using the 2005 client. I right-click on the solution and "Add to Vault".

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:02 pm

Okay, my mistake. You're on the 2005 client.

Make sure your devenv.exe.config is in the same folder as devenv.exe for VS2005, usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE.

Make sure the appSettings section you've added is a child of the configuration node. It should look something like this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version ="1.0"?>
<configuration>
    <startup>
    </startup>
    <runtime>
    </runtime>
    <system.net>
    </system.net>
    <appSettings>
        <add key="enableLogging" value="true" />
        <add key="classesToLog" value="all" />
        <add key="includeLoggingStackTraces" value="false" />
        <add key="includeThreadInfo" value="true" />
    </appSettings>
</configuration>
The appSettings you posted look fine.

Also note that you should change the devenv.exe.config file while Visual Studio is closed. After the change, upon starting Visual Studio, if you have the 2005 selected as the default, you should immediately see a file at %TEMP%\VaultVsipClient.txt
Ian Olsen
SourceGear