Relation between Repositories and Item Tracking Projects

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Glebby

Relation between Repositories and Item Tracking Projects

Post by Glebby » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:58 am

Since migrated to Fortress from Vault & Dragnet, I noticed there is no more linkage between repository and Item Tracking project. When working in VS2005 against some specific reposiory, I see ALL projects and their bugs in Fortress tree and buglist window. As a result, the performance is poor and it is quite hard to navigate between projects and bugs from non-relevant project.

My suggestion is to add ability to set up relation between item tracking projects and repositories.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:32 am

It's a good suggestion, and we thought about it, but decided not to confuse the issue since everyone will have their own setups for how repositories and projects map (Many projects to one repository or many repositories to one project).

The comment that you made that strikes me as the most relevent is that the performance is slow with the bug list window because you see all projects. We plan on correcting that by giving users the ability to run any query in that window or to run a saved query.

Glebby

Post by Glebby » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:12 am

That's good but in addition why just not to allow many-to-many relation between repositories and projects? i.e. I would like in repository Admin I can check and uncheck related projects for certain repository. By default you may have all projects checked to do not confuse existing users.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:08 am

You have a good point, but I would rather just address the true cause of pain (the browse buglist window tries to load all bugs accross all milestones and all projects, which is painful), than introduce another thing for admins to deal with. When everything is going according to my vision, you will have a very powerful interface to deal with bugs inside the browse buglist dialog. Look at the current VSIP bug tracking for ideas of how it will work. http://www.sourcegear.com/fortress/scre ... ryform.png

Glebby

Post by Glebby » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:16 am

Well, it is definitely acceptable solution in case the last used query will be stored in the buglist window between Visual Studio sessions, otherwise it will be a headache to select saved query again and again.

Note also that assigning projects to repositories is one time action for Admin only, and your solution assumes each developer separately will be need to configure the query at least once per each repository.