Fortress Error

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ZackJones

Fortress Error

Post by ZackJones » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:57 am

I have been evaulating Fortress before deploying it live and I'm glad I did instead of just cutting over. I have had a fairly difficult time with Fortress it seems :(.

Some background in case it matters:

The evaulation machine is my old development machine running Windows 2003 server standard, VS 2003 and 2005, SQL Server 2000 and 2005 installed as well. Vault 3.5.1 client and admin tool were installed but I uninstalled them prior to installing Fortress 1.0.1

Question - does Fortress work in VS 2003? I assume it does but want to make sure.

The installation seemed to run without error so I used the admin tool to create a new repository.

In VS 2005 I created a new project, added some files and then checked it into the new repository. So far so good.

I then tried various things such as checking out and checking in files and that all seemed to work well. I noticed keyword expansion was not working so I used the admin tool to enable that for all repositories.

Later in the day I tried to access the project through the IDE and I got an access denied error. Is there anything that would prevent you from being logged in through the VS 2005 IDE and the Admin tool at the same time?

This morning I opened the project and noticed it was no longer bound in source control. Right clicking on the project file give me a single option "Unbind" so I selected that. Now if I try to readd the project to source control or perform any sort of source control action on the project I receive the error shown in the screen capture. Also the log showing the error is below as well.

Code: Select all

6/18/2007 7:30:07 AM <generic>:     Assertion failed: 
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VaultCommandAdd.Perform()
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VaultVsipClient.Exec_icmdAddToVault(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.Design.MenuCommand.Invoke()
   at System.ComponentModel.Design.MenuCommand.Invoke(Object arg)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.OleMenuCommandService.Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IOleCommandTarget.Exec(Guid& guidGroup, UInt32 nCmdId, UInt32 nCmdExcept, IntPtr pIn, IntPtr vOut)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IOleCommandTarget.Exec(Guid& guidGroup, UInt32 nCmdId, UInt32 nCmdExcept, IntPtr pIn, IntPtr vOut)
If there's anything else you need just let me know and I'll provide it.

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:01 am

Hmm, since I can't seem to find the attach file option here's what the error I receive reads in the dialogbox that pops up in VS 2005:

"SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VsipUtility+AssertionFailedException"

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:30 am

This is the second report of "access denied" error. The other user deleted his client cache files, and that resolved the problem. The access denied error probably caused the other error (only Unbind is available), which then caused your add error.

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:25 am

Clearing the cache seems to have helped a good bit but I have two new issues:

1 - When starting VS.Net 2005 it seems the setting for automatically connect to server using the specified profile is ignored. Each time I start VS.Net 2005 I'm prompted to log into the server even though I have that option checked on the dialog.

2 - Keyword expansion, at least for the keyword $Header: $ does not seem to work. I have configured .vb files for all repositories to use keyword expansion but it doesn't work when I check in a file. I checked out a file and made a minor change and then checked it back in and the '$Header: $ keyword didn't expand as I was expecting.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:49 pm

I have configured .vb files for all repositories to use keyword expansion but it doesn't work when I check in a file.

It's possible that keyword expansion isn't explicitly enabled on the repository you're working in.

If you enable Keyword Expansion as a Default Repository setting, you need to also click the "apply to other repositories" button. This is now a two-step process unlike the process in Vault 3.5.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:16 am

Linda,

I finally have it working after removing previously defined setting, applying to all respositories, re-adding setting, applying to all repositories, then applying to all other repositories and restarting computer (may not have had to restart computer but I was getting frustrated).

I don't like the web admin client nearly as well as I liked the desktop version. Is there any chance you guys will create a desktop one for Fortress?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:25 pm

I can log a feature request, but I do know that we ran out of room in the Admin GUI client for all the tabs and items we needed for Fortress/Vault admin configuration.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager