Problem when adding new project/file to source control

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jsiegmund

Problem when adding new project/file to source control

Post by jsiegmund » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:09 am

When adding a new file/project from Visual Studio to source control I receive the following error message:
"SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VsipUtility+AssertionFailedException"

I don't think it even gets to the server at this point since this happens immediately after clicking. I seem to be able to add the files throught the client normally but Visual Studio is having problems with this. The same occurs when adding a new file in VS itself to a project, VS doesn't automatically add this file to the sourcecontrol provider.

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:32 am

It seems to have everything to do with the concurrent development style. When I switch to VSS Style new files are added automatically. Is this a setting I'm overlooking or something like that?

What I want is for new files, renames and deletes to automatically result in a pending change. But for development I want edit/merge/commit style; how can I acheive this?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:50 am

I'd like to know more about the Assertion that is failing. Can you turn on Vault client logging and reproduce the error? Also, are you using the latest 1.0.2 client?

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:56 am

jeremy_sg wrote:I'd like to know more about the Assertion that is failing. Can you turn on Vault client logging and reproduce the error? Also, are you using the latest 1.0.2 client?
I will and I am :)

Code: Select all

12-7-2007 16:06:45 <generic>: [<No Name>:2724]      [SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VsipUtility+AssertionFailedException
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VsipUtility.AssertFailed(String message)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VsipUtility.Assert(Boolean condition)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.ControlledSolutionOrProject..ctor(WorkingFolderTree workingFolderTree, IVsHierarchy pHierarchy, String vaultHost, Int32 repositoryID, Guid repositoryGUID, Boolean forceOffline)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.ControlledProject..ctor(Project project, WorkingFolderTree workingFolderTree, String vaultHost, Int32 repositoryID, Guid repositoryGUID, Boolean forceOffline)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.ControlledProject.ControlledProjectManager.Create(Project project, WorkingFolderTree workingFolderTree, String vaultHost, Int32 repositoryID, Guid repositoryGUID, Boolean forceOffline)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.Vault.AddWithoutCommit(WorkingFolderTree workingFolderTree, SolutionNodeSelection selection, List`1& newControlledProjects)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VaultCommandAdd.Perform()
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VaultVsipClient.Exec_icmdAddToVault(Object sender, EventArgs e)]
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VsipUtility.AssertFailed(String message)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VsipUtility.Assert(Boolean condition)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.ControlledSolutionOrProject..ctor(WorkingFolderTree workingFolderTree, IVsHierarchy pHierarchy, String vaultHost, Int32 repositoryID, Guid repositoryGUID, Boolean forceOffline)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.ControlledProject..ctor(Project project, WorkingFolderTree workingFolderTree, String vaultHost, Int32 repositoryID, Guid repositoryGUID, Boolean forceOffline)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.ControlledProject.ControlledProjectManager.Create(Project project, WorkingFolderTree workingFolderTree, String vaultHost, Int32 repositoryID, Guid repositoryGUID, Boolean forceOffline)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.Vault.AddWithoutCommit(WorkingFolderTree workingFolderTree, SolutionNodeSelection selection, List`1& newControlledProjects)
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VaultCommandAdd.Perform()
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VaultVsipClient.Exec_icmdAddToVault(Object sender, EventArgs e)
There u go, that's what happens when the assert failes.

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:27 am

Any news on this one? It's very annoying :)

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:41 am

Do you have solution items (files in the solution but not in a project) in this solution? If not, would you be willing to send me your solution file (just the sln) so I can try to reproduce this problem? You can email it to ian at sourcegear dot com
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:53 am

Mail sent, have fun ;)

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:03 am

There's nothing unusual about your solution, except that it doesn't appear to be bound. In the current release of the 2005 client, working with bound projects in an unbound solution isn't supported (though we understand this is a fairly common way of working, and support is underway).

The behavior you describe as desired, where new projects/files are automatically pended, is what should happen in VSS or CVS mode. Does the solution file exist in the repository? If so, let me suggest that you unbind everything and rebind, so that your solution is also controlled. At that point you should see things behave the way you'd like.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:12 am

That's weird, because VS is telling me it is bound (it gives me the option to unbind, so I assume it's bound). But your solution appears to be working; unbinding everything and rebinding fixes the problem. It also changes functionality; new projects are now automatically added to the pending changes windows, waiting to be inserted into source control. Seems this fixes all problems, thanks very much.

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:35 am

One last question: is it normal for the "recursive" option to be grayed out when I want to perform a "Get Lastest" operation on a solution or project? I kinda liked that option in Vault, but I can't get it to work in Fortress. Is this somekind of setting, or is it just not possible for some reason?

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:51 am

Yes that's normal. This dialog will eventually be replaced because it's misleading in a number of ways. A get on a solution, project or folder node is always recursive, meaning it recursively retrieves all files that are beneath the selected node.

There's a bug that causes an exception to this that further confuses people: when the contents of a project changes, e.g. a new file is added, we don't notice this on the first get. In this case, you have to do another get to retrieve the new file(s).
Ian Olsen
SourceGear