Documentation

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jimwarnock

Documentation

Post by jimwarnock » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:35 pm

Is there any documentation to explain the methodology used in project tracking, how to do exterenal submission (URL), etc. I can't find something that really explains how to use the product. For example, I saw in the forum someone has the URL for external submissions, but where did they find that information in the 1st place? Is there a document I'm missing? The help in the software seems to be very general and not specific.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:28 pm

The external add info is in Fortress Help under Item tracking->External Add Item. Be sure you're in the Item Tracking portion of the Web client when you click on Help.

We don't have a lot of detail about workflow in our Help, since everyone's workflow is different. Don't hesitate to ask questions on the forum if you need examples or clarification.

There was some discussion of workflow in this post on the Dragnet forum:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4371
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jimwarnock

Good example of what's missing.

Post by jimwarnock » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:06 pm

I went to the help page and though it says there is an URL for external submissions, it doesn't tell you what it is or how to form it. Am I missing something?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:04 pm

According to the documentation:
External Add Item
If you would like to allow external users to submit items for a particular project, enable the Allow External Submissions options from Modify Project page.

When this option is enabled, each project’s item tracking section will include an External Add page. If you provide users with the URL for the external Add Item page, users not in the Fortress system can use the form add items to Fortress.
<snip>
The external Add Item form includes a subset of fields available on the Fortress Add Item form including:

• Type

• Description

• Details

• Category

• Version

• Platform

• Attachment

• Attachment Description

• Custom 1 and Custom 2 fields (Optional)

When a user not in the Fortress system adds an item, “external-user” will be entered for the reporter value. Note that the username for this user can be configured from the Modify User page.
Basically, the External Add Item page is a way for non-licensed users (like customers, etc) to add bug reports to a specific project. They have no other type of access to Fortress.

To create the URL, login as Admin, select Projects, select the project you want and then Modify. Enable the Allow External Submissions options from Modify Project page.

Then on the Project page, click on the project name. You'll get the Recent Items page. Look at the list of links on the right side of the page -- Add, Queries, Summaries, etc. At the bottom should be an External Add link. Click on that, then copy the resulting URL to send to your external users.

We'll try to make these instructions more clear in our documentation in the future.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager