Feature Request: Diff / Merge Options

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Ocean10000

Post by Ocean10000 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:27 pm

I have two repositories which I use either the standard Diff Tool or another program to generate the diff view. Would it be possible to have it remember that I use the standard Diff Tool in Repository 1, and use the alternate Diff tool in Repository 2, in a future version?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I've taken a feature request.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:14 am

Ocean1000:

I'd like to gather some more information.

Could you elaborate more on your request? Is there perhaps something about the actual files (or file extensions) in one repository that you would want a setting like this?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Ocean10000

Post by Ocean10000 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:07 am

Sorry about not responding faster.
I would love it even more if it could be done based on file extension. The Standard Diff tool works great against programing source code done in text editors, it doesn't work as well against Microsoft Word Files files determining what if anything has changed. I ended up using a vbscript command line to generate a redline/diff view in Word. Its this command line vbscript I have to copy in and out when I switch between the repositories.

Repository 1 contains all other type of source code relating to the business, most of it in standard text format, and a few images and binaries throw in to the mix.
Repository 2 contains all Microsoft Word Templates saved in RTF format, and I used vault and now Fortress to manage the templates version and issue tracking.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:21 am

I thought this might be the case. We already have a feature request to launch different diff tools based by file extension. This sounds like something you could use.

I'll add your comments to the feature request.

Thanks.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear