Projects in solution unavailable after upgrade from Vault

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

APA

Projects in solution unavailable after upgrade from Vault

Post by APA » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:20 am

I upgraded from Vault and then I tried to open the solution from Fortress (File|Open From Fortress). That opened OK and then I did a bind to bind the solution to the new source control provider. Then I did a get latest (I set the working directory to a different working directory from my previous solution location). After getting the latest files the Projects in my solution were still not available. I closed VS and reopened the solution but I get errors on all the projects and they're unavailable and when you expand the project it says "the project file cannot be loaded". Not sure why because the project file is right where it should be.

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it? There doesn't appear to be a way to bind the projects like there was in the Vault plug-in.

Thx

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:43 am

When using IDE integration, VS runs the show, so it is difficult to use Vault for moving things around. VS still thinks it's project is in the original location, is not going to accept Vault's changing of the working folder. It is possible to get back to where you need to be, but just be aware for the future.

So that I can give you correct instructions, can you tell me what kind of project this is? Is it a website, or application, or some other?

If you go to your VS Tools - Options - Source Code Control, what do you have that set for?

What version of Vault were you using before the upgrade?

APA

Post by APA » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:55 pm

The Fortress plugin is the default provider. I was trying test the upgrade in such a way that it wouldn't interfere with my current development solution. I backed up the Vault and Dragnet databases and restored them to a test database server then installed Fortress. Then I tried to open the solution from this new instance of Fortress (after having set teh default source control provider to Fortress ofr VS 2005). This is when I got the problems that I described.

The upgrade was from Vault 3.5.2.

So the real question is what is the proper procedure for changing the source control from Vault to Fortress on and existing solution?

APA

Post by APA » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:33 pm

OK, I tried something new. I went to a different PC and opened the solution and unbound it from source control (which was the Vault 3.5.2 client). I then changed the default source control provider to Fortress. Then, I right-clicked on the solution in the Solution Explorer and selected Bind. This worked for all but three of the projects in the solution. Those three are unavailable and when I expand them I get a message that says "the project file cannot be loaded". If I right click on the project and select Reload Project I get a error message box saying "A project with that name is already opened in the solution".

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:09 pm

The original bindings I would agree are looking for something different, and by unbinding and rebinding to somewhere else, those are getting reset. On the ones that don't work, try unbinding, then saving all and closing VS. The reopen VS and try to bind them.

APA

Post by APA » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:28 pm

Well, I unbound the solution and closed VS and then reopened it and it I get the following message:

The project 'xyz' is under source control. An error occured registering this project with source control. It is recommended that you do not make any changes to this project.

I get this for the same three projects even though I remove teh source control bindings.

I then went and deleted all the .scc files and the .vspscc files from all the projects and it still gives me the same error when I open the solution. What more can I do to remove the source control bindings? Right now the solution and projects should not have any source control binding at all.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:29 pm

The Fortress plugin is the default provider
Can you tell me if you are using the one marked for 2005 though or the 2003 compatible one?

I thought you were using VSIP (that's the VS 2005 client), but your last post sounds more like MCSCCI (VS 2003 compatible client).

An explanation of the two interfaces can be found here: New VS2005 client versus existing VS2003 client

Instructions for switching from one to the other are found here: Re-binding a solution for use with the Vault VS 2005 Client

Are those three projects used in any other solutions, or just the one? What type of projects are they?

APA

Post by APA » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:12 pm

We've never used VS 2003 for this solution. The projects are used no where but in this solution and they are just Class Libraries

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:17 am

Can you send me an email at support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread? I think we'll have better luck that way.

When I'm asking about which client it's set for, I'm referring to the selections I have highlighted in the screenshot I've attached. Those settings actually only deal with the use of a particular interface, not whether you've ever used VS 2003. Maybe we are talking about the same thing, but I can't be sure here.
Attachments
which client.JPG
VSIP vs MCSCCI
which client.JPG (64.89 KiB) Viewed 16702 times

APA

Post by APA » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:32 pm

Yes, that is the client/plugin I had selected.

I started over by competely deleting my solution and redownloding it using the Vault client (not the VS plugin). I opened the solution and got it bound to the 3.5.2 verison of Vault just like it was before. Then I unboound it and closed and saved everything. Then I opened the solution again set the default source control plugin to the Fotress VS 2005 client plugin. Then I right clicked on the solution and selected Bind and it bound teh solution and projects properly. Something must have gone wrong in the previous unbinding from the the old source control.

I'll send in an email if I have further issues but all seems to be working now.

IsaackRasmussen

Post by IsaackRasmussen » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:04 am

Did you ever find the source of this problem?

I've been experiencing it as well, since upgrading the client to version(the server was also upgraded) 4.0.5.15922

I do have VS2005 plugin selected. Until today it was always one project in my solution out of 10 that failed. That particular project was a C# Winforms application and I also have a WebProject and a SetupProject.
But today it was 4 projects failing, not sure if it makes any difference.

The workaround I've been using so far is to close Solution but not VS and then reopen the solution and it opens without any errors.
But it's still annoying

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:50 pm

We didn't find out what happened in this user's case and I don't think it ever failed for this person again.

If you have solutions failing to load, even if they seem to load on a second opening, I would recommend trying an unbind and rebind.

Is your entire solution arranged on disk in a tree-like manner?
Are any sub-projects shared with other solutions?
Are any other solutions, projects, or users making use of the MCSCCI interface (VS 2003 compatible client) instead of VSIP (VS 2005 client)?

APA

Post by APA » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:05 pm

As stated in the message above I was able to get it working using the procedure stated and never had any more problems.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:59 am

Isaack,

I agree with the folks saying that a failed unbind from another SCC provider is the most likely culprit. If you want to enable logging for the VS 2005 client and send me a log that includes the failure you describe, I'll take a look. You can post it here or email it to ian at sourcegear dot com.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear