Fortress and FogBugz?

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kbonnin

Fortress and FogBugz?

Post by kbonnin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:20 pm

Greetings,

While we've been using Dragnet (now Fortress) with great happiness for 3 years, our new customer issue management tool is FogBugz. I see that with Vault 4.0, we could change Repository Options "Bug Tracking Integration" and set the URL.

I'm unable to find what used to be Vault Admin to set that, and I can't find a "Bug Tracking Integration" from the web.

What I want is simply to have the Fortress Client append checkin information to items in FogBugz. Is this still possible?

thanks, Ken

kbonnin

After more exploration....

Post by kbonnin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:44 pm

After more exploration, I'm seeing this might be a product positioning strategy. I see that Vault will continued to be developed (and my suspicion is that Vault Client/Fortress Client are identical code bases, simply compiled with a different product code/name).

So, if that's the case, can we simply install Vault 4.0 all the way around and use our 3 full Fortress licenses?

thanks!

Ken

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:12 am

Fortress does not support integration with a third party bug tracking app such as FogBugz. Fortress closely integrates item tracking with source control and is a total solution.

Vault 4.0 still supports integration with FogBugz. If you want to use Vault instead of Fortress, we would suggest backing up the Fortress databases -- sgvault sgdragnet and sgmaster. Then uninstall Fortress, leaving the databases when prompted. Then drop the sgdragnet database (make sure you have a backup), leaving sgvault and sgmaster. Then install Vault 4.0.x.

Configure bug tracking under the Repository settings in the Vault Admin Client.

The licenses for Vault and Fortress are not interchangeable, but you can contact our sales department at sgstore at sourcegear. com about trading your Fortress licenses for Vault licenses.

One comment I would have is that going forward, Fortress will have more tools for software teams and more integration with item tracking, build systems, etc. We'd like to know what features you need in item tracking that don't currently exist in Fortress so we can consider incorporating them in future releases. You might want to stay with Fortress after all.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

kbonnin

Post by kbonnin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:40 am

Greetings Linda,

Thanks for the detailed reply. We've been happily using Vault/Dragnet for 3 years, followed by a fine upgrade to Fortress.

We've recently installed FogBugz to manage customer-facing/implementation issues, with the idea that Fortress is for development issues only. We're suddenly faced with - what info goes into what database? We don't want to muddle issues for our implementation sales force with all the nitty-gritty details that development deals with.

Development wants to know - which database do I close out issues in?

I don't really see a way to filter out the two classifications of issues in Fortress. Furthermore, FogBugz has fantastic ticket-based issue-tracking with email to clients and a much cleaner customer-facing look to it than Fortress.

So.... I'd be happy to stay with Fortress but I'm finding this ticket-based issue-tracking to be something we really need.

thanks!

Ken