Upgrading just from Vault, not Vault+Dragnet

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mbainbridge

Upgrading just from Vault, not Vault+Dragnet

Post by mbainbridge » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:04 am

Is it safe to upgrade a Vault+Dragnet installation without using the Dragnet database? Our Vault database is now quite mature (37GB and counting...) but we've only really played around with Dragnet and we have nothing worth bringing across into Fortress.

I did a test upgrade of Vault+Dragnet, but ended up with a few duplicate or similar usernames which I can only hide, not remove. I had one user with a duplicate username and a couple where Vault and Dragnet must have disagreed on the login (one had Malcolm, one had Mal for example).

Everything *seemed* to work when I just updated using the Vault database, but before I go for it on the live database I thought it would be worth checking... :-)

Cheers.
--
Marcus

(Upgrade method: used SQL 2005 to do a backup, copied the backup file(s) to the VMware test server and restored it/them into SQL. Installed Fortress from there)

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:41 pm

Try this in your testing.

1) Make a backup of the sgvault database within SQL Server.

2) Uninstall Dragnet. When prompted, choose to REMOVE the DRAGNET database.

3) Uninstall Vault. When prompted choose to NOT REMOVE the VAULT database.

4) Install Fortress. When prompted choose to USE the EXISTING database.

In essence you'll need to create an environment with NEITHER product installed, but the sgvault database properly working within SQL Server. The sgdragnet database should not exist.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear