Adding Web Reference = Excercise in Futility

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dist0rti0n

Adding Web Reference = Excercise in Futility

Post by dist0rti0n » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:25 pm

I've been trying for the last 2 hours to add a Web Reference to a Web Application Project in Visual Studio 2008.

When I attempt to check-in the changes, the Fortress window stalls on the "Ending Transaction" message.

What appears to be happening is that the files/folders are getting added to Fortress, but when you check the pending changeset during the operation you'll still see them listed in the pending changeset. If you attempt to work around the situation and remove them from the pending changeset, they'll disappear from the repository.

I'm running Fortress 1.1.0.16216.

I've tried this on both an XP Pro box and a Vista box with the same results.

Help!

Update

It appears that it keeps trying to recreate the Web References folder and any sub-folders every time it you try to register a new Web Reference.

The full scenario is that I'm adding 2 Web References.

I was able to jam the first web reference in there, although after it was done some files (i.e. the Web Application Project file) were showing renegade flags in the solution explorer.

When I attempted to add the second Web Reference, I checked the pending change-set before check-in and I noticed that it was showing Add events for the Web References folder as well as the Web Reference I had previously added, even though both already existed in the repository.

I manually deleted these events and was able to successfully add the second Web Reference.

Luckily, I was able to do this before ripping the last shreds of my hair out.
<a href="http://www.vertagen.com">Vertagen Solutions</a>

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:13 am

Which client do you have set in VS Tools - Options - Source Control?

dist0rti0n

Post by dist0rti0n » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:45 pm

I'm running the Enhanced client, thanks!

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:56 am

I was able to reproduce some dodgy behavior when adding a web references to a web application project. I don't know exactly what's happening yet, but I wanted to let you know we've confirmed the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

dist0rti0n

Post by dist0rti0n » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:28 am

Thanks, Ian!

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:04 am

This issue will be fixed for the next maintenance release (Fortress 1.1.2).
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

rubenmch

Post by rubenmch » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:41 pm

I have Fortress 1.1.2 installed and have the same problem, when i add a web reference to a project and try to perform a check in it stays in the "Ending Transaction" message forever. Was the problem fixed in version 1.1.2 ?

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:36 am

Yes it was.

If you can send me a log file that includes your attempt to checkin after adding a web reference, I can investigate why this might still be happening to you.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

rubenmch

Post by rubenmch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:09 am

I'll try to send you the log file, meanwhile here are the steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Open Visual Studio and Set the Visual Studio Plugin to Enhanced Client (VSS Style)
2. Create a new Windows Forms Project/Solution (.NET Framework 3.5)
3. Add an ASP.NET Web Service Application project to the solution (.NET Framework 3.5)
4. Add a Typed Dataset (Add New Item->Dataset) to the web service application project, add a datatable to it with 1 column
5. Add a method in the web service (Service1.asmx) that returns the Dataset, example:

Code: Select all

[WebMethod]
        public DataSet1 HelloWorld2()
        {
            return new DataSet1();
        }
4. Select Add Service Reference in the Windows Forms project and add a reference to the Web service application service.
5. Add the solution to fortress, the dialog stays in "Ending Transaction" forever.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks for the detailed info. We're investigating.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear