Scripts for Vault

Post your questions regarding using the Vault and Fortress API in your programs.

Moderator: SourceGear

Royce

Scripts for Vault

Post by Royce » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi,

I am new to Vault as my company has just installed it. I would like to write some scripts to make my job easier because I get a number of subprojects almost daily. Where can I find general documentation on writing scripts for Vault? I did not see anything about scripts or canned jobs in the help file.

Any help appreciated.

Beth

Re: Scripts for Vault

Post by Beth » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:43 pm

For scripts you could use our Command Line Client. That would seem the easiest for basics.

You could also use the Vault Client API. That is available with the Vault downloads and it's documentation is included in the zip file with the API.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

amccray

Post by amccray » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi Beth,

Thanks very much for the clear post and the invaluable link to the apparently comprehensive (tbd) command line documentation. By any chance can you point me to similar doc for installing the client API and the command line facility (I only care about the command line interface, if that makes a difference). I've downloaded the latest client api zip (VaultClientAPI_5_0_1_18729.zip) today (15 Nov 2009), but can't find any hints in the readme or help files either in the zip or on the site (so far); admittedly I haven't exhausted the site... Still, your post was a welcome find. Anyway, any hints on correct installation (extracting, I assume) would be greatly appreciated. system32 doesn't seem to be such a good idea (no, I didn't, but it was my first thought--it's a cli augmentation, n'est-ce pas?) (Yes, I know your post is almost a year old.)
Thanks in advance, Art

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:23 pm

There is a .chm file inside of the zip file that is the API download. That has the documentation.

For the command-line client, that installs automatically when you install a Vault GUI client.
Beth Kieler

amccray

Post by amccray » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi Beth,

Thank you very much, that was all that I needed to know. I blush and squirm in shame that I did not think to look in such an obvious place (the gui client installation directory) before posting, but I did not, and I apologize for my negligence. Thank you very much, again, for your reply, and more for your forbearance of my sad, silly question. Next time, if there is one, I'll try to be a bit more diligent before I publicly seek help. (I am apologetic because I am a big fan of, and one who frequently recommends to others Eric Raymonds' How To Ask Questions The Smart Way, and I am mortified to find myself in the position of having publicly asked so dumb a question.)

Anyway, thanks very much, Art McCray

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:23 am

We rather have someone ask questions and be able to use our products than be stuck and frustrated. Ask away, anytime. :)
Beth Kieler