API Samples -- Cmd Line Client Sample Does Not Build

Post your questions regarding using the Vault and Fortress API in your programs.

Moderator: SourceGear

Frustrated.User

API Samples -- Cmd Line Client Sample Does Not Build

Post by Frustrated.User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:35 pm

I have downloaded the API sample, and neither of them will build.

I have found all the assemblies in the VS2003_Client directory inside the main-directory where the source-gear client is installed and repaired all the dll references in the project. But the sample in the CommandLineClientCode directory will not build. The compiler output shows:

C:\Fortress.API\CommandLineClientCode\UtilityClasses.cs(206): The type or namespace name 'BackupOption' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
C:\Fortress.API\CommandLineClientCode\VaultCmdLineClient.cs(1524): The type or namespace name 'BackupOption' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
C:\Fortress.API\CommandLineClientCode\VaultCmdLineClient.cs(1510): The type or namespace name 'BackupOption' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
C:\Fortress.API\CommandLineClientCode\VaultCmdLineClient.cs(193): The type or namespace name 'CompareToOption' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
C:\Fortress.API\CommandLineClientCode\UtilityClasses.cs(237): The type or namespace name 'DateSortOption' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
C:\Fortress.API\CommandLineClientCode\VaultCmdLineClient.cs(210): The type or namespace name 'DateSortOption' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
C:\Fortress.API\CommandLineClientCode\UtilityClasses.cs(228): The type or namespace name 'UnchangedHandler' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
C:\Fortress.API\CommandLineClientCode\VaultCmdLineClient.cs(30): The type or namespace name 'VaultClientIntegrationLib' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
C:\Fortress.API\CommandLineClientCode\UtilityClasses.cs(23): The type or namespace name 'VaultClientIntegrationsLib' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

What have I done wrong?

Thank you
Frustrated.User

shannon

Re: API Samples -- Cmd Line Client Sample Does Not Build

Post by shannon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:38 am

Can you try using the dlls that you downloaded with the code? The VS2003_Client directory is for VS2003 plugin, not the api.

Frustrated.User

Post by Frustrated.User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:38 am

Okay, I tried to add the dlls from the zip file as references in the project. The IDE keeps coming back with a message box:

"A reference to xxxx could not be added. This is not a valid assembly or COM component. Only assemblies with extension 'dll' and COM components can be referenced. Pleake make sure that the file is accessible, and that it is a valid assembly or COM component"

I was hopeful that I was going to be instantly proven to be a Dumb.User, but I still remain a Frustrated.User.

What am I doing wrong?

shannon

Post by shannon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm assuming since you went for the VS2003_Client folder that you're using VS2003. Is that right?

Long story short, everything used to be compiled with 2003, but we've migrated most of the build over to newer versions, so the dlls were compiled with 2008. Do you have access to a newer version of VS?

Frustrated.User

Post by Frustrated.User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:27 pm

You are right. I am trying to use 2003. I don't have immediate access to 2008.

shannon

Post by shannon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:29 pm

The dlls should work with either 2005 or 2008.