Backwards Compatibility

Post your questions regarding using the Vault and Fortress API in your programs.

Moderator: SourceGear

rgrayson

Backwards Compatibility

Post by rgrayson » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:25 pm

I have been using Vault (single-user) at home as a means of source control, and am a long time fan.

I am a contract programmer, so move around from company to company quite a bit, and have recently started work at a company that also uses Vault. Unfortunately, they use version 4.x and I am on version 5.x and have found out that I cannot use the same client to access both servers.

If you are not going to make clients backwards compatible, could you at least allow multiple versions of the client to be installed?

Has anyone else here come across this and found a workaround?

Thanks,
Robin.

Beth

Re: Backwards Compatibility

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:38 pm

We don't support multiple clients being installed, because we don't test that way, but there is a way to run two clients. This might take uninstalling your latest version. I haven't tried installing in reverse order or newer then older, so I don't know what the results would be.

The basic instructions are:
1) Install the oldest version first.
2) Go to the location that Vault was installed to and move the folder to a different disk location.
3) Install the second version of Vault, but install to the original location the first one was installed to.

The short-cuts are taken over the the newest version of Vault, so you may want to make some short-cuts from the original Vault install. The IDE integration is also taken over by the newest install, so you might try a registry switcher program to give yourself a way to use integration with both. Otherwise, you can use the older version non-integrated with VS and the new one integrated with VS.

We can't guarantee that everything will function with two clients.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

rgrayson

Post by rgrayson » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:18 pm

I've got 4.1.x and 5.0.2 installed now ... thanks, should help a bit.

I'm guessing that the IDE will be hooked up to the 5.0.2 client ...... don't suppose there are any registry hacks that will allow that to be switched are there (unofficially, and unsupported, of course!)

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:55 pm

We have a KB article that talks about the registry key to flip: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4010. There are registry switchers out there that can do the flip of the keys in a few clicks, and there are SCC switchers I think that will do the same thing.
Beth Kieler

rgrayson

Post by rgrayson » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:02 pm

That's great thanks!

I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:23 pm

You're welcome.
Beth Kieler

coderanger

Post by coderanger » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:59 am

Would creating a separate Windows login user for the two different scenarios help? Then if you are working privately you logon to your profile, if working for the company you login to a different profile ... no need for separate reg key switchers or anything.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:27 am

I haven't tried it, but the source code provider keys are under HKEY local machine and not the HKEY current user. I thought the keys had to be under HKEY current user in order for a profile to have different settings. It might be worth trying out.
Beth Kieler

coderanger

Post by coderanger » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:17 pm

Yes of course, you are quite right, this was always the problem from the beginning wasnt it. Oh well, sorry for confusing the post.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:41 pm

I thought it was a good idea though.
Beth Kieler

VOORSPRONG

Post by VOORSPRONG » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:20 am

Has Sourcegear given the non-support for multiple clients another thought perhaps for version 6? We have now three different versions to use as developer. Some of our customers use version 4.x, some use version 5.x and some use version 6.x. I would be great if the Vault GUIClient would be able to connect to the different server versions. I can install multiple clients and until last week I had two vault icons on the desktop to pick from but now I have THREE!. Worried about version 7...

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:24 am

I can log a feature request for a backwards compatible client. Thank you for your feedback.

F: 16742
Beth Kieler

VOORSPRONG

Post by VOORSPRONG » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:28 am

Would appreciate that. Hope it is honoured (soon).