Convert a Fortress installation into a Vault installation

Post your questions regarding using the Vault and Fortress API in your programs.

Moderator: SourceGear

chrisssteeven

Convert a Fortress installation into a Vault installation

Post by chrisssteeven » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:11 am

Hi,
I have been evaluating Fortress, but we have chosen to just go with Vault for source control instead of using the whole ALM solution in Fortress.I need to basically convert a Fortress installation into a Vault installation so I can apply Vault-only licenses to it.I can't find any documentation on this, and I've tried the obvious uninstall Fortress, delete all databases apart from sgvault, install Vault route, but then when I try to log on to the web interface I get "invalid password", even when I enter the same password I entered during setup.
We must change in order to survive

Beth

Re: Convert a Fortress installation into a Vault installation

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:59 am

I want to mention first that going from Fortress back to Vault is not supported. We don't do any testing to ensure full functionality. There is a way to do this currently, but in the future, the databases may diverge to the point where it's impossible to switch back.

You were on the right path, but the databases involved in running Vault is sgmaster and sgvault. You deleted one too many databases. Uninstall Vault, choose the option to keep the database, delete the current sgmaster database that was created from the new install, restore a backup of your previous sgmaster database, and then install Vault again.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support