Excel VBA Sourcesafe Access

Post your questions regarding using the Vault and Fortress API in your programs.

Moderator: SourceGear

iaingblack

Excel VBA Sourcesafe Access

Post by iaingblack » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:43 am

Hi there,

At my current employer we have a lot of Excel VBA code which gets/puts lots of csv style files into VSS (a strange use case I admit!). I imagine we can use the vault API to do something similar? I did a quick search on the support forum but could not see an example. I'm not the programmer responsible for this but i just wondered at a high level if there is a way to reuse our existing code with your API and just swap it out? Or, would we have to re-code our application specifically to make use of your API? Perhaps really just changing the connection string used to reference the vault server?

Sorry for a slightly muddled question, basically we use excel VBA code to checkin/checkout VSS files and wonder how difficult it would be to 'upgrade' our VBA code to use vault instead if we go down that road.

Thanks
Iain

Beth

Re: Excel VBA Sourcesafe Access

Post by Beth » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:50 pm

You could either use our Client API or shell it out to our command-line client.

To find out Client API information, there is a .chm file that is included in the API download. That's the official documentation. We also have a forum area devoted to just working with the API and it has a lot of examples: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewforum.php?f=39.

I'll check with someone who knows the VSS API to see if they think they're very similar and post back.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support