Security API Reference

Post your questions regarding using the Vault and Fortress API in your programs.

Moderator: SourceGear

disgruntleddrone

Security API Reference

Post by disgruntleddrone » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:42 pm

Greetings,

I am attempting to create a web site from which access can be assigned to Vault Repository resources (repository folders, new users, remove users, group membership). However, I have not been able to locate any documentation (preferrably C#) which clearly illustrates the desired security steps using the Vault 3.5.x API.

Does such a document exist? If not, can you recommend and other resources.

Thank you

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:17 am

This is the first time that anyone has requested to hook up such administrative functions. It's possible, but we never really document how. Before you put too much effort into it, I would recommend you look at Vault 4.0, which has a built in admin web client, as well as the ability to give users admin permissions to only one repository.

disgruntleddrone

Post by disgruntleddrone » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:02 am

Thank you for your prompt response.

My ultimate goal is to produce a cross-platform provisioning system that will cater to all of our developers spanning several dissimilar platforms (Vault, TFS, Unix and Oracle); to this end, I will need the actual API calls, not a single provider, Administrative page which you stated 4.x includes.

Might your devs be able to put together a quick code sample showcasing some of the required methods and syntax (simple tasks would be find: create a user, add that user to a group)

Once again, thank you for your response and any further assistance/direction you could offer would be appreciative.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:16 am

First, make sure to use the login command that gives you admin access (after setting the login credentials as expected in the examples):

ServerOperations.Login(VaultConnection.AccessLevelType.Admin, false, false);

Programming the admin API is actually quite a bit simpler than the regular API, so you'll probably be able to take a look at the VaultService/VaultAdminService.asmx page to look at the list of things you can do. Most of the web service methods have a thin wrapper in ServerOperations.client.ClientInstance.Connection. One warning though, the web service admin API is no longer being used by us, since we've quit shipping the stand-alone admin app, so things in future versions of Vault may behave differently.