Use this whole file option in Merge view

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

joshnorton

Use this whole file option in Merge view

Post by joshnorton » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:16 am

Hi, I love DiffMerge and really want to thank you guys for making it freely available. There's only a couple of things it doesn't do that I either haven't figured out yet or don't exist in the product.

1) When in Merge view/mode, is there a way to choose to use all the changes from one file in place of the changes in the other, or do I have to click on every change and accept it.
2) In the Diff view/mode, I seem to only get the options to a) use the changes from the left file in the right file, b) prepend the changes from the left file to those in the right file, or c) postpend those changes. Can I put a feature request in that there should be an option to d) use the changes from the right file in the left file (or maybe a + b + c, but in the left file), or is that not what you're supposed to use the diff view for?

Josh.

jeffhostetler

Re: Use this whole file option in Merge view

Post by jeffhostetler » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:18 am

In the merge/3-way view, you can click on the "merge to center" toolbar
button and/or edit menu item. It will automatically apply all (non-conflicting)
changes from both the left and right panels into the center panel.

But that may or may not be what you're asking. If you're only wanting everything
from the left-side going into the center (and nothing from the right-side), no
I don't have that ----- But you can be sneaky and load a new merge window with the
left file in *both* the left and right panels -- Then the automatic merge to center
will do what you're wanting. (I know it's kind of a strange way to do things....)

As for diff/2-way view, the left panel is always considered read-only. The idea
was that only the right panel is editable and changes go one way. (This has been our
most popular complaint.) I'll add your vote for making both sides editable.

Hope this helps,
jeff

joshnorton

Re: Use this whole file option in Merge view

Post by joshnorton » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:11 am

Thanks for adding my name to your list of complainers. :)

The merge to center toolbar button wasn't really what I was hoping for, ideally I was looking for something where I could ignore all changes in one of the files (say, someone has checked in a new version of the file where they've mostly just moved method signatures around and now I have a million conflicts when all I did was edit one line - in that case, I'd rather just take all of their changes and re-apply mine in the code-editor again).

The problem with the workaround you proposed is that with DiffMerge integrated into the source control tool it's a bit of a pain to do, do-able yes, and a good workaround, but still a pain.

Josh.