folder diff view question

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

rwr

folder diff view question

Post by rwr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:15 pm

Hello,

I just downloaded DiffMerge on a Windows box and this tool looks very useful - thanks! I did a quick compare of two folders and saw a few references to files (in one folder, but not the other) that look like windows shortcuts. Examples below:

..\..\SomeFolder\somefile.ext
L:\
L:\somefile.ext
M:\SomeFolder
M:\SomeFolder\somefile.ext

I assume these are shortcuts as they are not valid file names inside a folder, but I couldn't find any reference in the docs or online to verify this. What's odd, though, is that I can't see anything (using windows explorer) that would match up with those entries that DiffMerge is listing. Any tips on how to interpret this would be appreciated.

And, I have a couple feature requests -- or I just need a nudge on program options:

It would be great if I could specify (when comparing folders) to only compare the top level folders and then do lower level compares as I dive into the folders. If you pick large/deep folders, it takes a long time to load. Also, you might consider an optimization when comparing, which is when one folder contains a sub-folder not found in the other, there's no need to dive into the orphan folder as all files will be missing from the other side.

Thanks again for a great tool!
Rich
Last edited by rwr on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffhostetler

Re: foder diff view question

Post by jeffhostetler » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks for the note.

I'll have to look at the shortcuts in the folder window. They shouldn't
show up (like that or probably at all). I don't use Windows shortcuts
very much, so they probably escaped testing. (sigh)

As for a non-recursive option, that is a very popular feature request.
And yeah, a way of avoiding a dive into the peerless side would be good too.

I've logged all of these in the bug database. I can't say when I'll have a fix
them though.

jeff