Fortress pending changes lists files that are identical

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

rdoran

Fortress pending changes lists files that are identical

Post by rdoran » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:23 am

I've read the posts and tried the suggestions but can't seem to resolve a problem with .vb files associated with Crystal Reports .rpt files. Fortress pending changes lists all my .vb files that are associated with .rpt files as size unchanged/modifed. When I do show differences I get the "Files are identical under the current rule set" message. I made copies of the latest files from the repository and from my working directory to a temp folder. I then ran DiffMerge and changed the VB rule set so that it should show all differences no matter how "trivial". Yet when I compare repository and working files in my temp folder I still get the "files are identical" message. No matter how many times that I check in the files, every time I come back into Visual Studio Fortress pending changes list the files. Any ideas?

lbauer

Re: Fortress pending changes lists files that are identical

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:04 pm

What version of Fortress are you using? What version of Visual Studio? Are you using the Enhanced or Classic Client for integration?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:46 pm

Fortress 2.0.1 (1879), Visual Studio 2008 (9.0.21022.8 RTM), Enhanced Client for integration

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:05 pm

What's the main problem -- the items keep appearing in the pending change set? Or you edit files, then diff them, and the differences don't show up in the Diff app?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:38 pm

The items keep appearing in the pending change set. I am not changing the files at all. Yet even if I check them all back in, the next time I come into VS, they are in the pending change set.

Thanks

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:27 am

I have also noticed that all my .vb files that are associated with .rpt files get an updated timestamp when I open VS first thing in the morning. Obviously something is changing the timestamp, but nontheless the files themselves are NOT changed. I don't know if this is significant as far as the pending change set goes.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:07 pm

When these items are in the pending change set with size unchanged look at the files in the folder tree in the Fortress GUI Client to see what file status is.

Also, a screenshot of your pending change set may be helpful. You can post it here or email it to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 am

In the Fortress GUI Client the file status is Edited.
Attachments
rdoran pending change set.jpg
rdoran pending change set.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 14274 times

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:48 am

Linda,

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks,

Bob

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:40 pm

I was able to reproduce the status "size unchanged modified" by opening a file in my working folder and saving it, which does not modify the file, but changes the modification date of the file on disk. So it's possible that the timestamps of your files are being changed even though nothing is being written into them. I'm wondering if the association with the Crystal Reports files is causing this.

You could enable CRC's in the Vault options. This setting is in Visual Studio under Tools->Options->Source Control->Vault Options->Advanced Options-> Local Files->Detect modified files using CRC instead of modification times. This may slow things down a bit, but at least unchanged files wouldn't be shown as modified.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:57 pm

I figured it was the timestamp that was causing the problem. I'm not sure if its crystal reports or visual studio or some interaction between them that causes the timestamps to be changed. I had earlier looked for a version control setting that would allow me to ignore files that were "different" only by virtue of their timestamps, but coouldn't find it. Thanks for pointing me to it. By the way I have the same behavior with app.config, but since it was just one file I've been ignoring it. If detection via CRC proves to be too slow I'll look into Crystal Reports/Visual Studio and see if I can get it to stop changing those timestamps.

Thanks,

Bob

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Ok, Let me know if you have additional questions.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:59 am

I changed to detectection via CRC and I still get all of the crystal report .vb files in the pending change set, but now details is blank and type is unmodified. Also, in client the status is blank. So going to CRC detection changed some aspects of the pending change set information but I still get the big pending change set.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:09 am

Are the files checked out?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Before closing VS I check them all back in. Wen I open VS again, all of the crystal reports .vb files are in the pending change set and are checked out. But I did not check them out. Something is doing it "automatically."