Fortress pending changes lists files that are identical

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

rdoran

Re: Fortress pending changes lists files that are identical

Post by rdoran » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:35 pm

Linda,

Maybe a different tack will yield an answer. As I stated earlier, app.config is always shown as checked out and unmodified. This is true even after I switched to CRC detection. Am I missing something? I've looked for options in Fortress help, this forum and web in general that might be related to this issue but have come up empty. I'm hoping that the simple case of app.config will shed come light on the problem with my crystal reports files. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:43 pm

If you are using the enhanced client, files are automatically checked out if they have been modified. So something is changing the timestamp. We could try to reproduce this here, but we need to know how your project is set up, or get a copy of your project. If you create a small dummy project with a similar file set up, does this behavior still happen, or is it specific to one particular project?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:34 am

Hmmm... I feel like we're talking in circles here. I've already stated that something is changing the timestamp. That's not an issue. However, the files have NOT been modified. As you suggested I changed from timestamp to CRC to determine if a file has changed. So even though Fortress should be using CRC to determine if a file is changed, files with changed timestamps are being added to the pending change list. It appears that CRC detection is not being used or is not working properly. Are their other options that I need to change in VS or client? What other aspects of file setup would affect this behavior? I have searched for related options/settings and haven't found any.

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:24 pm

We're not sure what's causing the problem. I don't think we have had reports of it before.

Are you working in CVS mode or VSS mode? Are the files on disk read-only or writable?

I discussed this with one or developers, and one suggestion is to start with a fresh get of the project. Close Visual Studio and using the Vault GUI client set a working folder at the root of your project, and unset any explicitly set (not inherited) folders. Preferably, set a new working folder. Then do a get latest with Overwrite. When you open the project in Visual Studio, do you get the same behavior?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:04 am

I don't remember setting CVS or VSS mode but I believe that the options are set to that of VSS mode. Files are read-only.

I created a new working folder and did a get latest with overwrite. I got exactly the same result as before: all of the .vb files associated with crystal reports .rpt files are listed in the pending change set with details blank and type unmodified.

I don't recall if I mentioned this before, but this behavior didn't appear until after I upgraded to the latest version of crystal reports. Nonetheless, it seems if I am using CRC to detect differences these files should not be showing up in the pending change set. It doesn't really cause any problems; it just looks like we always have a ton files that need to be checked in (even though we don't).

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:07 pm

I spoke to our Visual Studio developer, and we think that Visual Studio is checking out these files , because it wants to modify them for some reason, rather than Vault checking out the files because it thinks they are modified. That's probably why the CRCs are not working: files can be checked out but not modified. We're not sure why Visual Studio's doing this; it may be related to the new version of Crystal Reports.

One thing to try: to temporarily set your checkin options to checkin unchanged files. This setting is in Visual Studio under Tools->Options->Source Control->Vault Options->Advanced Options-> Checkin/Branch->Checkin Options. Then when all the VB files are in the pending change set, Do a "save all" in Visual Studio, and check all the VB files in.

If that doesn't change behavior after than, we would like to try to reproduce this. What version of Visual Studio/Crystal Reports are you using?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:53 am

Without making the change you suggested, all of the sudden all those crystal reports .vb files are no longer showing up in the pending change set. I have no idea why. To the best of my knowledge I have not changed any settings since my last email on 1/25. I suppose its possible that I inadvertantly changed something but I don't know what it would be. In the last couple of days our organization has installed some Microsoft updates and I don't know if they might have had an effect. So for now the problem has mysteriously gone away. Thanks for all of your suggestions along the way. I will let you know if the problem appears again. FYI, we have VS 2008 (version 9.0.21022.8) and Crystal Reports 2008 (version 12.0.0.683). Also you have referred to Vault in your emails and we have Fortress 2.0.1 if that makes a difference. Thanks again.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Strange, but not unheard of. I call it the "Tech touch." When Tech Support gets involved, sometimes the problem goes away. This time it took quite a while, however. :-)

Vault and Fortress share the same code base, the behavior would probably be the same with either one. Let us know if this happens again.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear