Can't see hidden OS X files in FileDiff window

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

peterv6

Can't see hidden OS X files in FileDiff window

Post by peterv6 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:22 am

I need to compare the .bashrc files in two different directories. When I use the open -> open FileDiff menu option and select the directory to chose the files from, the hidden files (prefixed with a .) do not appear in the file selection window. If, however, I open the FolderDiff option, and compare the folders, I can then select the 2 hidden files from the resulting list of files from the directory comparison by using the "open pair in new diffmerge window" option. This doesn't seem logical, as I don't need to compare the directories, and that takes quite a bit of unnecessary time. Can anyone tell me how to select the hidden files directly without having to do a full directory comparison? BTW, the Enable drop-down in the Select file window only shows .* files (*.*). I'm thinking it should just say all files.

jeffhostetler

Re: Can't see hidden OS X files in FileDiff window

Post by jeffhostetler » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:13 am

The Browse/Open File... dialog is a stock MAC dialog and I can't control what it shows or how.
However, in 10.6 you can type COMMAND+SHIFT+. (C + S + period) to toggle on/off
the display of the hidden ".-files".

You could also just type something like "~/.profile" in the filename fields in the
first dialog rather than clicking on the "Browse..." buttons.

Hope this helps,
jeff

peterv6

Post by peterv6 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:41 am

Excellent! Thank you very much Jeff. I've been looking for a good difference utility since switching to Mac a couple of years ago. I was using Kdiff, but this is MUCH better. It's exactly what I was hoping for. Your answers to my question fix the only problem I had with it. I'll now use it forever!
Thanks again,
Peter V.

peterv6

Post by peterv6 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Maybe I should have opened a new bug report, but I have a minor complaint. When you have the file differences view up and you go from one difference to the next, it's extremely hard to tell where the cursor is. There is a very faint dotted line around the set of lines, but it's not nearly visible enough not to be seen without straining your eyes. Is there any chance you can enhance this somehow? Maybe by creating a color for the CURRENT line or CURRENT difference? That'd make it a LOT easier to use this tool. That said, this is still the best file comparison tool I've ever seen for the Mac.
Thanks,
Peter V.

jeffhostetler

Post by jeffhostetler » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:29 pm

I logged your request. The dotted lines does seem to keep getting smaller and smaller
on these higher resolution displays. The dotted line is being drawn with a single pixel
thick dotted line because that usually works on all platforms; going with a thicker pen
is more problematic (not impossible, just a pain). I'll have to take a look at that and/or
the highlight thing -- maybe change the background color slightly for the active delta
or something. I'm not sure what would be best, but I'll see what I can do.

BTW, you can change the color of the caret. Maybe change it to something that has
high contrast with the other colors. That might help.

jeff