FYI: Explorer crashes under Win7Pro64bit

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

mattjs

FYI: Explorer crashes under Win7Pro64bit

Post by mattjs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:55 am

Uninstalling my recently installed DiffMerge seems to have resolved my endless recent Window Explorer hangs and restarts.
Note that I tend to set the Explorer option for "running each window as a separate process"... could it be threading issues perhaps in this circumstance.. badly code explorer extension and handlers.
In any case my brand new Win7Pro64bit laptop now works again as it should and I shant be reinstalling DiffMerge again.
Just though I would do the right thing for free or open source software and let you know that I am 90% sure you might have a serious issue here...
Thanks
Matthew

Beth

Re: FYI: Explorer crashes under Win7Pro64bit

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:15 pm

After you installed DiffMerge, what actions would cause the explorer hang you mentioned?

I think this was tested with the defaults in Windows Explorer. I'll check into this to see what it could be.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jeffhostetler

Post by jeffhostetler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks for the bug report. I haven't seen this one before.
I'll log it and see if I can't figure out what's going on.

BTW, you can install/use DiffMerge without enabling the
explorer integration stuff if you want. There's an option
in the preferences/options dialog to turn it off.

jeff

item:15906

mattjs

Post by mattjs » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:28 pm

My appologies.
It is notriously difficult to identify which Windows Exlplorer Context/Menu Handlers are causing crashes. (In my case after right-click on the Desktop.)

I finally discovered and removed one CSR Bluetooth Expansion or Feature Pack 5.0 or something like that I probably installed, after prompting by Windows, to get a Samsung Mobile Phobe working with bluetooth support with W7x64. (The phone (or rather its drivers) is not compatible with x64 and this was the wrong driver anyway and a very bad flakey one at that for the reason above!)

As all my problems associated with this have now finally gone away I have just reinstalled DiffMerge to confirm.

So if you dont hear back from me it will mean that DiffMerge wasnt after all the source of this problem!

Thankyou, all the best, and sorry again for the probably false alarm.

jeffhostetler

Post by jeffhostetler » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:50 am

No problem. Thanks for the update. Please let us know if you do find problems with it.

thanks again,
jeff