Bug and other problems...

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Bug and other problems...

Post by Adrian » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:56 pm

This is not a bad programme, but there are several issues I would like resolved before I would shell out money for this.

I don't know how this happened, but a NUL char was inserted into a file and put into source control. This effectively renders your product useless as it complains "Cannot Import File into Unicode!"


I understand that this is kinda unexpected, but this way of handling it is unacceptable as no character encoding would resolve this issue. At the very least, a FORCE ANSI option should be made available.

  1. Your find utility in this is horrible. I press Ctrl-F and type in what I want to find. Then I get to a location I'm interested in and I have to use the mouse to be able to move around/edit from there! :( If I want to go to the next, I have to press Ctrl-F, Enter. Two keys? Further, if I want to go back, I have to use my mouse. If I want to toggle Match Case, mouse. And there is no regex find either.
  2. Switching between local, server and merge view is a pain requiring a mouse. Keyboard shortcuts are needed.
  3. Jumping between conflicts is ok, but if I take from server or local, the conflict is no longer in conflicts list, which I can sorta see why, but makes for a problem if I find something later on to make me realize that I dealt with a conflict inappropriately, requiring me to Ctrl-Z my way back up, instead of just going back to a conflict that I tried to resolve, and then reresolving those conflicts that I had just resolved.
  4. By pressing F8/Shift-F8 to next/previous conflict, I would expect the text caret to move as well, allowing me to use the arrow keys to move relative from there in any of the 3 windows.
Don't get me wrong, there are many things that I do like about your product. However, aggravation vs cost ratio is too high at the moment.

Thanks for your efforts. I hope these issues are resolved soon and I will suggest to the company I work for to purchase this great product.


Posts: 8550
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:24 pm
Location: SourceGear

Re: Bug and other problems...

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm checking with a developer on the file that ends in a null. We'll respond back on that part.

1) F3/ Shift-F3 should go to the next/previous item found even if you just edited. Once you click in the window once, you don't have to go back out of the window again for the search. I'll log a feature for selecting the window to edit and one for regex.
2 & 3) I can log a feature request for that.
4) Once you get into the window once, this isn't a problem.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:37 am
Location: SourceGear

Re: Bug and other problems...

Post by jeffhostetler » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:33 am


WRT the NUL problem: Yes, I've never liked that dialog or the need for it,
but DiffMerge does everything in Unicode and NUL chars aren't allowed.
Forcing the importer to assume ANSI/ASCII won't fix that since there isn't
a Unicode character to map the NUL chars to. I could add an option to
replace any NUL characters with something like '?' or "{{{NULL}}}", which
would probably help in your situation, but might be problematic for others.
I'll log a feature request for this.

WRT Find: Yes, there are some quirks there. After typing Ctrl-F and getting
the "find toolbar", you can keep pressing "Enter" to do find-next and
yes focus is still in the toolbar. The mouse click is needed to move focus to
the window. BTW, Shift-Enter will search backwards. To do a search again,
you can use Ctrl-G and Shift-Ctrl-G.
I'll log a bug report to look into this further.

WRT switching between views: try Ctrl-Tab and Shift-Ctrl-Tab. (On a MAC
this is Alt-Tab and Shift-Alt-Tab.)

WRT jumping between conflicts: Currently DiffMerge automatically re-computes
the diff after each operation, so once you address/edit a conflict, the re-diff
re-categorizes it and this leads to the condition you mention. I want to change
that to only re-diff upon request; this would let me better handle what you are
describing and allow for localized undo, mark resolved, and etc. But I haven't
had time to dig into this yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Post Reply