DiffMerge 4.2.1 for Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit)

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear


Posts: 3558
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: SourceGear
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:47 am
If anyone is having issues with DiffMerge on Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit), we have a beta version you could try. Please download, install, and report back any problems.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sj_6QH ... sp=sharing
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:20 pm
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 pm
I tested diffmerge_4.2.1.817.beta_amd64.deb and was able to install it on Ubuntu 18.04.1
after installing libcurl4.

But German Umlaute äöü, ÖÄÜ are not displayed correctly.

Is there some setting for this?
I tried Tools->Options-> Rulesets -> Default Ruleset with
Unicode 8 bit (UTF-8)
Unicode 16 bit (UTF-16) (Alt 1)
Unicode 32 bit (UTF-32) (Alt 2)
but this did not work.

Posts: 3558
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: SourceGear
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 am
The easiest thing to do is to ensure your files contain the correctly encoded byte order marks (BOM) at the beginning of the file, so DiffMerge can automatically detect the character encoding.

However, in the case BOMs are not there, the ruleset matching depends on the file's extension. What is the extension of the files you are comparing? Do those extensions match the ruleset's file suffixes? When the files are loaded, if you click on the "Change Ruleset" menu item, does the Choose Ruleset dialog show you the ruleset that should match those files?

----

For those interested in Ruleset configurations, I'm providing some sample files that can be downloaded/extracted for testing. For these examples, please configure the following:

1) In the Options/Preferences, go to Rulesets. On the Custom Ruleset below, edit the "Text Files" Ruleset. If you click on the "Name" properties you should be able to see, when DiffMerge opens files ending in "txt" or "text", this ruleset will be used. Choose "Character Encodings". Leave the "Search for Unicode BOM" checked, and change the Fallback Character Encoding option to be "Ask for Each File". Click OK.

2) Next click on and edit the UTF-8 Text Files ruleset. If you check the "Name", you will see extensions of "utf" or "utf8" will be used. Back on the "Character Encodings" property, verify the "Search for Unicode BOM" is checked. And also change the Fallback Character Encoding option to be "Ask for Each File", and Click OK

3) Close the options dialog, and DiffMerge

Now, try DiffMerge against umlaut-1.txt and umlaut-2.txt. These files have no BOM, but do contain umlauts. DiffMerge matches the extension on 'txt', and should prompt you for the character encoding. Select "Unicode 8 bit (UTF-8)" and click OK. The files should now be displayed with the correct character encoding showing the umlauts.

Next run DiffMerge against the umlaut-bom-1.utf and umlaut-bom-2.utf files. These files have the UTF-8 BOM at the beggining of the file. Also, the UTF-8 Text file ruleset should be matched due to the 'utf' extension on the files The files should now be correctly displayed. And although the setting is for Ask for Each File, since the BOM was found in the file, DiffMerge skipped that and went right to opening the files with the instructed character set.

As an exercise for the reader, you can remove or change the test file extensions and modify the default or create other Rulesets as you see fit.

Explore the different Ruleset file extensions and character encoding options to choose the one best for your environment.
Attachments
umlaut-utf8-bom-files.zip
utf8 (with bom)
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
umlaut-text-files.zip
text files (no bom)
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Return to Support (DiffMerge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron