Big thanks & some suggestions

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

hustbaer

Big thanks & some suggestions

Post by hustbaer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:41 am

First of all I'd like to say thanks for this great tool, or rather: for making it available for free! As others have written it might not be the best tool available, but it's the best *free* tool for diffing that I could find.

The suggestions:

1) Don't clear the clipboard when exiting. (There's another thread where this was requested, I just wanted to repeat it here since I think it should be very easy to do)

2) Regarding the "in line differences": it would be nice if DiffMerge could show a "line" where something was deleted. The deleted characters are already highlited in the other file, but without that "line" you don't know that something was deleted or where, without looking at the other file. If you don't know what "line" I mean: I mean just what Araxis does ;)

3) I don't think I'll have much luck with this (since I figure it would be much work to implement it), but I have to try anyway: I really love the "4-view" way of merging like P4Merge does it. I like having all 4 versions on screen at the same time, and I also love the coloring (different colors for sections taken from "theirs", "yours" and "base" - and of course for stuff that has beed edited). So it would be really great if DiffMerge would support that too :)

4) It would also be cool if there was a "virtual file system" plugin system (via DLLs/SOs), like in TCL. That way one could access files and directories via DAV, HTTP, FTP or even files in any repository (be it Vault, SourceSafe, CVS, ...), of course provided that there's a plugin. If you'd provide a plugin interface, maybe the OS community would provide the plugin implementations. Or maybe there already is some standard (or de-facto standard) for such plugins that could be used - which would be even better since then there should already by plenty plugins available.

Thanks again,
Paul

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:55 pm

Thanks for the kind remarks. Glad you have found Diff/Merge helpful for you. :-)

I will log your suggestions as feature requests for consideration in a future release.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager