Whoops... undo all :(

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
jsiegmund

Whoops... undo all :(

Post by jsiegmund » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Hello there,

Today I was working on checkin in code. There were some files marked as modified but with unchanged filesize. I started comparing them to the repository version, and performed an 'undo' action for all files which hadn't actually been modified. But I wasn't paying attention enough and ended up accidentally pressing CTRL+A before pressing undo. So now all my sources have reverted back to the repository version and all my changes are gone :(

I understand this is my fault, but would there be any chance of Vault having stored some older copies of those files anywhere? Anything would be very helpful if that would mean getting some stuff back. Otherwhise I"m f-ed I guess, but that's my own problem. Thanks.

Beth

Re: Whoops... undo all :(

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Vault does save changes that are overwritten, so it's likely your changes have been saved.

Open your Vault GUI client, right-click the folder that holds the files that you lost changes on and select Properties. Click the Backup Files tab. Click the file or files you want your changes from and click Add to put them into the restore list. Then click Restore all.

Let me know if that takes care of the issue. If you turned off the backups in Tools - Options - Local Files - Backup Location, then it wouldn't save the copies that were overwritten.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi Beth,

Back-up is enabled (working folder, 5 copies), but the client doesn't list any files. I did upgrade from Fortress to Vault Pro in between, could that be the cause of the missing file? I think the guy is called Murphy...?

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:04 pm

Well, the client didn't list the back-up files for some reason, BUT....! They were there on disk. So it took some manual replacing of sources, but I think I'm getting there. GREAT option guys, you just saved me bigtime! Thanks!

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the update. For future readers who may happen across this post, the backup files are located in hidden folders called _sgbak. Those are normally in the working folders.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support