Vault Shadow

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
ninety

Vault Shadow

Post by ninety » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:19 am

Version 3.5.3
Windows Server 2003
IIS6
Local user, same name&pwd in both domains.
Separted domains

Am I ever going to get shows copy working between domain-A and domain-B?

Is that enough information?

lbauer

Re: Vault Shadow

Post by lbauer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:11 pm

We don't support shadowing across domains. There are too many permissions involved. Even though the account you are using has the same name and password, it really is two different accounts.

What you could try is to treat these as two different machines in a workgroup and use a local account for the Shadow Folder service. We don't know if this would work or not, but might be worth a try:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... oup#p49127
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ninety

Post by ninety » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:36 am

Having run through the post I'm getting

Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

in the shadow log file. Should I open a new post or can someone advise.

Many thanks.

ninety

Post by ninety » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:16 am

Is the error below because of the cross domain or should I be putting the URL in differently?

Vault's Shadow Folders encountered an exception attempting to login to the Vault Server for Repository ID 9. Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

Many thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:46 pm

Where are you putting in a URL?

It's hard to say whether this isn't working because of the domain issues or because of some other configuration problem.

I'd suggest first trying to get a shadow folder to work on the Vault server machine itself. If that works, then the problem is most likely due to the cross domain issue.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

ninety

Post by ninety » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:52 am

This is the 1st time I've had a chance to look at this again!

I'm still getting:

Vault's Shadow Folders encountered an exception attempting to login to the Vault Server for Repository ID 9. Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

This is the line from web.config

<WorkingFolderAssociations>
<rep repid="9">
<sfa assoc_key="9:$/otherwebsites/ctsinfo-c:\temp\vaultshadowtest01" reppath="$/OtherWebsites/ctsinfo" localpath="C:\TEMP\VaultShadowTest01" readonly="False" repid="9" synchepository="False" filedateoption="0" initialget="True" webpath="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\VaultShadowFolder" />
</rep>
</WorkingFolderAssociations>

Can anybody help, please. N

ninety

Post by ninety » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:37 am

Now, this line is in the log file before the previously posted errors

The password for Vault's Shadow Folder could not be decrypted. The password is assigned from configuring Vault's Shadow Folders from the Vault Admin Tool.

Can I regenerate the password in web.config?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:55 pm

Are you using Identity Impersonation for the account used by the Shadow Folder service?

Look for this line in the VaultShadow Folder web.config file:

<!-- identity impersonate="true" userName="DOMAINorMACHINE\WINDOWSACCT" password="plaintext_pwd"/>-->

If this is being used, you can reset the password there. Or, if you haven't used Identity Impersonation, you could try it. The account needs to have read/write access to all the shadow folder locations.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

ninety

Post by ninety » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:43 am

The password I am refering to is the shadowfolder_password, "some-encrypted_value" in the example below.

<add key="shadowfolder_login" value="admin" />
<add key="shadowfolder_password" value="some-encrypted_value" />
<add key="shadowfolder_vaultserver" value="vault_server_address" />

How can I regenerate the encrypted value for the shadowfolderlogin?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:49 am

That password is the encrypted password for the Vault Admin user. Did you change the password for the Admin user after installation? It's possible the password no longer matches the encrypted password.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

ninety

Post by ninety » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 am

At the time I didn't know the admin password, I do now, & wanted to 'trial' vaultshadowfolders so I put my own userid & plaintext password in as values...without making a note of what was in there already, doh!

Is it not possible to re-create the pwd value? To try & re-create the value, myself, I installed vault server on a different machine & copied the value from that machine...hasn't worked...but vaultshadowfolders has. If the pwd can't be re-created, could I use this set up, 1 machine to be the vaultservice & another to do the vaultshadowfolders, to achieve what I want? In fact, if I could, that would be more helpful because I am trying to valutshadow across domains & I would put the vaultshadowfolders service in the 'other' domain.

Your assistance is very much appreciated,

Neil..

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:34 am

In order for shadow folders to work across domains, you must create a trust, then create a domain user who has rights in both domains in the trust.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... S.10).aspx

Although it might be technically possible to put the Vault shadow folder service on the machine different from the Vault service machine, it's not something we've tested or support.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear