Fortress to Vault pro upgrade failure

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
tonieventer

Fortress to Vault pro upgrade failure

Post by tonieventer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:33 am

I am trying to upgrade an existing Fortress 1.1 database to the latest but during the installation process it encounters an error and does not complete the installation. I have made a screencap of the error but can not attach it here. The failure is:
Adding data to SourceGear work item tracking database.... Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'pk_tbluserssecuritychanges'. Connot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.tbluserssecuritychanges'.

Could you please assist to solve this?

Regards
Tonie

Beth

Re: Fortress to Vault pro upgrade failure

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:48 am

Did you upgrade in stages? To do that you would upgrade to Fortress 2.0.4, then uninstall Fortress, but choose the option to keep the database, then install Vault Professional.

You can find more details about upgrading in our upgrading guide posted here: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 231#p49231.

If you have a backup of your databases, restore those so that you are starting fresh let me know if you can get as far as Fortress 2.0.4.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

tonieventer

Post by tonieventer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks for the reply, i have installed 2.04 which upgraded the database, then uninstalled it, then installed the latest which successfully upgraded and installed the application. Now I get to the page where I need to log as admin with the password I created during installation. It keeps on giving me a login error:

Login Failed: The username or password supplied is invalid.

I have searched through your knowledgebase and have tried the following without any luck:
1.) Uninstall and re-install
2.) Check that the IIS APPPOOL\VaultAppPool, NT AUTHORITY\IUSR, NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE and NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM users all have db owner access to the sgVault, sgFortress and sgMaster databases.
3.) Tried opening the login url using 'localhost' and ip address still no luck
4.) tried IE8 and Firefox, both no luck
5.) Tried solution to check whether the principal has the correct select and execute permissions on the database, still no luck

I am running server2008 R2 with SQL Server 2008. The content of the log file is as follows, does not tell me much maybe it helps.

----1/26/2011 5:17:10 PM admin--VPS2169.ad3.softcom.biz(168.144.99.247)--SSL Disabled Login failed: FailNotValidLogin
----1/26/2011 5:17:16 PM admin--VPS2169.ad3.softcom.biz(168.144.99.247)--SSL Disabled Rolling Back a transaction at VaultServiceSQL.VaultSqlConn.RollbackTransaction()
at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultServiceAPI.Login(VaultSqlConn conn, Boolean allowwebonly, String strLogin, String strDecryptedPassword, String strHostname, String strSessionID, String strDomain, String& strToken, VaultUser& vu, Int32& nValidUserAttempts)
at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultServiceAPISystem.DoLogin(Boolean allowwebonlyusers, Boolean bAdminLogin, HttpSessionState hss, String strHostname, String strLogin, String strPassword, String strRMKey, String& strAuthToken, String strDomain)
at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultServiceAPISystem.DoLogin(Boolean allowwebonlyusers, Boolean bAdminLogin, HttpSessionState hss, String strHostname, String strLogin, String strPassword, String strRMKey, String& strAuthToken)
at VaultService.VaultWeb.Login.DoLoginStuff(String strLogin, String strPassword, LoginToken lt)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at ASP.vaultweb_login_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.PipelineStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.BeginProcessRequestNotification(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb)
at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context)
at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationHelper(IntPtr managedHttpContext, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)
at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotification(IntPtr managedHttpContext, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)
at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationHelper(IntPtr managedHttpContext, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)
at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotification(IntPtr managedHttpContext, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)

----1/26/2011 5:17:16 PM admin--VPS2169.ad3.softcom.biz(168.144.99.247)--SSL Disabled Login failed: FailNotValidLogin

Regards

Tonie

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 am

Did you make a backup of the sgvault, sgmaster, and sgdragnet databases before starting?

I think we might need to take this offline so that I can take a closer look. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler

tonieventer

Post by tonieventer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Beth,
I have started from scratch again and this time it seems to have worked. I have checked the sgMaster database user table and saw there were no users in there which probably was the source of the login error. It did not create the admin user in there.

Anyway, I have restored the original databases and have upgraded everything and we are now on the latest version.

Thanks for the help!

Tonie

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:57 am

Thank you for the update.

When you were restoring your updates, did you restore 3 databases? The three involved are sgvault, sgmaster, and sgdragnet. I'm just checking so that you wouldn't lose your previous user's data and so that none of them were in a 1/2 upgraded state.
Beth Kieler

tonieventer

Post by tonieventer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:58 am

Hi Beth,
I tried to upgrade first on a new server to test and I think I might have missed the sgmaster database, it was created during the install but without the admin user. I restored the backups again and did the upgrade from version 2.04 then 5.1 and it upgraded everything. What confused me was that the admin user was not created in the sgMaster database when it was re-created. Anyway that seems to have been a mistake on my part by not restoring the sgMaster from the originals.

I do have another mysterious issue, in the 1.1 version we had there were a lot of deleted projects. I tried to obliterate them to reduce the database size - a process which was very slow and therefore not completed. Now in the new system, there are not any items shown in the list on the Obliterate page as before. I deleted another project today, and it also did not appear on the obliterate page. Does it automatically obliterate the deleted projects now or am i missing something?

Regards
Tonie

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:26 am

In your Vault GUI client, right-click the parent folder to what you deleted and select Properties. Click the deleted items tab. Are items listed there?

Check the Pending Check Ins window at the bottom of the Vault GUI client. Are there delete transactions sitting in that window?

Please be aware that using the Obliterate function will cause problems with using Export/Import.

How large is your database? Most users don't need Obliterate, and so you might want to avoid it unless it's absolutely necessary. Obliterate essentially removes history.
Beth Kieler

tonieventer

Post by tonieventer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Beth,
When I right click the parent folder in the windows client, the deleted items are all listed, but it does not show up under the obliterate page in the web client.
There are no pending checkins or delete operations shown in the bottom of the client.

To obliterate the items would be helpful for us to reduce the database size which has grown to more than 2.5GB over the years, there are many projects that we do not require anymore which could be removed to reduce the database size. We do not plan to use the import/export feature.

Anyway, it is not so important, we can live with the large database size for the moment although it is causing issues when trying to retrieve and store off-site backups.

Regards

Tonie

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Can you open your IIS Manager, right-click the Vault AppPool and select properties? In the last tab there should be a setting for which account that application pool is running under. You might try adding that account if it's possible to the Machine Keys security.
Beth Kieler

tonieventer

Post by tonieventer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Beth,
I have done that and I can see the files to obliterate now. Thanks for the help!

Regards

Tonie

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:46 am

Thank you for the update. You can return the settings for the everyone account back to how it originally was now.
Beth Kieler