Client on remote desktop environment

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
jsiegmund

Client on remote desktop environment

Post by jsiegmund » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:04 am

Hello,

I have some problems setting up Vault on a shared environment. We have a server (windows 2008) on which a colleague of mine and I both login. There's a Visual Studio installation on there, all sourcecode files are located in the same directory on D: So basically, we're working on the same sources (not at the same time though).

We use seperate windows logins to create a remote desktop connection to the machine. We also have seperate Vault usernames.

Now when my colleague edits a file, and commits it to sourcecontrol; my local cache is unaware of that. But it sees the file on disk has changed, so it supposes that I have changed that file too and mark it as 'needs merge', even though there are no changes made.

Is it possible to configure the client in a way that this doesn't happen? Off course i could clear the cache and get a fresh version everytime, but that's not really a preferable solution.

Beth

Re: Client on remote desktop environment

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 am

Our software doesn't support shared working folders. You would each need to have your own working folder. There isn't a way to make the cache understand that that the working folder is shared.

Clearing the cache won't resolve the issue, because your baselines are going to be different than the other user's baselines.

I also wouldn't recommend trying any manual resolution, because you could end up sending bad data to your database.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:45 am

And when I set the client to store the baseline files in the working folders instead of in the cache folders?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 am

It won't make a difference. The cache will work the same.

One resolution would be to always check in your changes before the other person works on the file, and then when the status is different, perform a Get with overwrite before you start working.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support